Saturday 3 December 2022

Six on Saturday - Early December

Cold and damp, with mists sums up the weather this week, though today the mists have lifted and we still have the cold.  This is December and finally I can say most of the Autumn is behind us and we are in winter.

1. The yearning for some snowdrops shoots got hold of me this week.  I suddenly needed some early flowering snowdrops!  I even dreamt about them.  I still had a large washing up bowl of Ophiopogon Little Tabby without takers, and suddenly wondered whether Jackie at Triffids Nursery would like to have them to pot up and sell.  Now that would be my excuse to visit and see if she had any snowdrops.  A swap was negotiated and I came back with Galanthus 'Peter Gatehouse'.

(Note added 28 December.  Galanthus has been planted in the garden at the left hand side close to Pear Beth).



Described as one of the earliest clones of elwesii, often starting to flower in mid-November and usually in full bloom weeks before Christmas, just as the soft, silvery-greyish leaves are starting to emerge. These leaves later lengthen but are never long,  floppy or untidy. Height 10-12cm at flowering, with good sized, symmetrically triangular flowers marked with a substantial amount on mid green on the inners (the green extending beyond the mid point of the inners) in the shape of a pair of scissors with paler handles; both vigorous and dependable in growth and flowering and it makes a good and dependable display every year. Flowering in a gap in the seasons and making such a good show. Originally given by the late Peter Gatehouse of Kent, to Elizabeth Strangman of the wonderful Washfield Nursery at Hawkhurst in Kent. Although noted and accepted as a clone of elwesii, we have noticed, that over many years and many hundreds of flowers, we have never had so much as a single pod of seed set and most pods turn yellow and die, before even swelling, perhaps indicating hybridity. (Source Rare Plants).

I did buy a second one but I'm keeping that to show next week.

2. We had our first frost in the back garden on the evening of the 30th November, and would otherwise be showing a picture of the flower today, but instead all the leaves are drooping.  One of the jobs this weekend will therefore be the final clearing up with removal of all the second flush of nasturtium seedlings. The garden will then be truely ready to watch the bulbs emerging.



3. Reviewing my old photographs before trying to discard a whole lot, I came across my picture of the arrival of Pulmonaria Sissinghurst from my dear friend Kay.  That was back in April 2004.  I still have it in my latest garden.  It does so well that I keep dividing it, and I must have made at least fifty divisions shared amongst numerous friends.



4. This week Maggie arrived with a division of Stachys or rather as it is now called Betonica officinalis 'Wisley White' which is growing well in a pot.  I need to think about its best position.  I love the leaves and it likes sun, so it will be towards the front of a border.


5. A few weeks ago, early October, one of  the WI Book Clubs was meeting here and it wasn't surprising that as many were also members of the gardening group, there was a little tour of the garden.  Salvia 'African Sky' was much admired.  A quite cuttings demo,  plunging into some compost all together in a small pot. For the fist few weeks they stood in a shady spot, and since then they was have on the table by the window in the shed.



 This morning whilst out checking the bottom of the pots for slugs etc., what should I see but these roots peeping out from below. The cuttings have taken, but ought I to wait till spring to pot them up individually?


6.  Another little beauty joined the 'congregation' of succulents this week.  Andromischus Cooperi Festivus. 



Several of us are continuing with the Six items from the garden post which is now lead by Jim, and you are very welcome to join, or dip in and view lots of plant/gardening related posts.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, lots to keep you busy Noelle. What great friends you have who all like to plant swap with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I planted a Pulmonaria Sissinghurst in the spring. I must see if it has survived as it's lovely. Andromischus Cooperi Festivus looks like a great little plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betony is extremely common in hedgerows round here, and very ornamental. I have never seen a white one, that must be a very rare mutation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snowdrops - you and I share a love of them and you've made a good choice there. I follow a galanthophile group on Facebook and Peter Gatehouse has been appearing regularly in photos there. It looks like it does well for people in the open garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting to see where the other snowdrops will come up. The garden is pretty thick with them, and I don't want to plant snowdrops on top of snowdrops! I hadn't been getting any notifications from 'Snowdrops and Galanthophiles, so I went to check, which group do you follow on Facebook Katherine?

      Delete
  5. I've been wishing for snowdrops here too, but I will have to wait for mine until next year. Enjoyed seeing yours though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The roots come through the pot but I'd wait for spring... Very pretty succulent presented in #6 , I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely understood your yearning for snowdrop shoots Noelle 😂 You made an excellent swap. I think that I have 'Peter Gatehouse' in flower although the label has gone absent without leave. I'm having the same debate as you about whether to pot on some hardy annual seedlings now, as I can see roots but I certainly won't be doing anything this week, as it's going to turn so cold later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree about the potting on, these are 'shrubs' but I shall wait. I was really after Galanthus Three Ships, but there is nothing quite like having that 'would love another one' feeling to help one on the hunt!

      Delete