At last we are having some rain: it is as if the soil is sighing in relief and exhaling this wonderful smell called petrichor. Yesterday even with threatening rain I went out to do a little gardening enjoying for a short time the feel of drops landing on my back, through my thin tee shirt, until it started to get heavier. More than happy I tidied away my tools and went inside.
1. It will soon be the season for moving Aeoniums back to less open situations even if it is to shelter from the rain. They are in fine form as this Aeonium ‘Schwarzkopf’ shows,
![]() |
| Aeonium ‘Schwarzkopf’ |
2. At the Taunton Flower festival not long ago, I very much admired a certain Aeonium on the display, but sadly they had sold out. I 'cheeked' Tom, suggesting that such large plants could easily spare a cutting, and that I would pay of course. I was invited to the back of the stand and shown some of the pieces that had inevitably been knocked off during the journey, and I selected one of them. I am pleased to say that I believe that Aeonium Medusa seems to have overcome any trauma, and is settling in well. From what I have read Aeonium Medusa it is a mutation of Aeonium Velour so should have a similar naturally branching form, which I particularly appreciate on my Aeonium Velours.
![]() |
| Aeonium Medusa |
3. I went past my friends shop, called Thomas D'Arcy Garden House and right in my eyeline was a delightful pot of Achillea ‘Paprika’ (Galaxy Series). I had recently watched a gardener's world on iplayer which featured John Cullen and his National Collection of Achillea, it was on Gardeners' World Episode 19 of the 2026 series. I was only going to say hello to Chris, but came away having spent my 'sweetie' money for the week. It is now planted out in the garden. The earlier flowers got somewhat bleached by the searing sun.
![]() |
| Achillea ‘Paprika’ (Galaxy Series) |
4. One of my little pet enjoyments in the garden is to try and propagate almost anything that grows. It is a close call and probably goes joint first with cutting things. A few weeks back I cut back really hard the Helianthemum Golden Queen growing in the gravel garden, and now it has bounced back beautifully and growth will have hardened off well by the winter.
![]() |
| Helianthemum Golden Queen forming a neat cushion after hard prunning |
6. It was a very sad time at the start of the week, as I decided that it was time to remove the apple tree D'arcy Spice. It has been beset by squirrels for the last three years at all times of the year, and not one single apple has reached anything near maturity. I am constantly trying to frighten off the squirrels, and after spying five squirrels all in the garden at the same time, I decided I had had enough! Growing fruit has been a disaster in this garden, with pear trees, apples trees and rows of strawberries removed over the last few years.
Japanese Umbrella Pine Sciadopitys verticillata is a contender to be moved from its pot to somewhere in that area, but I think I shall wait till the soil settles a little, and plant it out in a few weeks time.


.jpg)




I have just had to look up bergera as I hadn't heard of it before. Really interesting and hardy with you? Love the aeonium story, as my mum always says "If you don't ask, you don't get", and wow it was worth it, what a beauty! I am also (of course, Sis) a cuttings obsessive and these look great. Have a good week, me dear x
ReplyDeleteWe had a plant growing outside in Mauritius, but here it is too cold, so the plant get moves to the conservatory for the winter, now that it is too large to sit on the kitchen windowsill. This is the plant that gives 'curry leaves' and have a heady fragrance. If your Mum was a gardener do ask her and post what her favourite flower/plant/shrub/memory of garden is, and share. Have a great week, and hopefully less watering!
DeleteI love the look of that Achillea. We planted lots of it in our most sloped bed because it has such amazing roots, but it would be great to get some more colourful varieties in, too.
ReplyDeleteThe Aeonium looks really nice, too. I am hoping to install a small rooftop succulent garden somewhere, so this could be a good species to include.
There was are very different Achillea Kathrin, both in colour and height etc, so I think you will enjoy expanding yours. They are very easy to propagate by division, so do ask local friends to enter into swaps. The Aeonium would be stunning for the summer period, but would have to be removed indoors for the rest of the time. If you were thinking of a green roof there are many hardy varieties of succulents which may suit. Maybe drop a line to Piccolo Plants?
DeleteLike Gill, bergera is new to me. Very pretty. And well done for acquiring that lovely aeonium. This weird compulsion to propagate everything whether you need new plants or not goes with the territory doesn't it? Non- gardeners find it hard to understand.
ReplyDeleteNon gardeners just don't even get our enthusiasm. I feel sorry for them!
DeleteYou seem to have good success with cuttings. Well done on acquiring that piece of Aeonium Medusa!
ReplyDeleteBy and large I do, and really it is a question of just trying and observing. I love to teach and share this skill with my local friends too, and it they fail, they can always have my surpluses.
DeleteVery lovely Aeoniums; I had actually seen the 'Medusa' variety before while visiting a garden in Roscoff, (Brittany). The leaf colour ranges from pink to dark red depending on sun exposure, and the rosettes are somewhat larger than the ones usually seen. A lovely choice!
ReplyDeleteThanks Fred, and I find they react rather faster to change in light compared to the other dark Aeoniums, it had gone really dark and within a few days with a move to a more shaded situation you could see the different colours.
DeleteSo pleased to hear that you've had some rain Noelle - it's been doing nothing but here for the last week 🤣 I'm sorry to read that you've had to say farewell to your apple tree 😢 We have an abundance of squirrels here too and fortunately so far they've not shown much interest in either the pear or apple trees - maybe because there are also some mature chestnut trees on the boundary of the garden. They are a general nuisance though.
ReplyDeleteIt is a relief to hear that there is sufficient food with the chestnuts for the squirrels, and here they have acorns which they are constantly burrying and unburrying hence causing even further damage, but that season isn't long.
Delete