Thursday 28 February 2008

Knitting too many things at the same time

Having looked through Vivian Hoxbro's book on Shadow Knitting, I just had to try it. I'd bought some double knitting weight cotton in contrasting colours to try out a swatch to master the technique. A big swatch can be a pan holder, so I started on the POT HOLDER in the book, and by the 6th row I was bored. To add interest I decided to put in a chequer board pattern rather than the four stripes. Having finished the first, using the kitchen scales, there is sufficient yarn to knit a second. No knitting is wasted though and the techniques both for the two tone effects and the very neat edge stitches will no doubt be useful in the future. In addition I shall have two new pot holders. On balance lace knitting wins over shadow knitting especially as today "Knitting Lace Triangles" by Evelyn Clark arrived today from Get Knitted. I'm already thinking of the design for my holiday tucker in Hemp for Morocco.

With the Swallow Tail tucker still on the needles I had to buy more 3.5mm needles for the Shadow Knitting at knitting club on Tuesday at Web of Wool. This gave me the chance to try out Schoeller & Stahl Circular Needles. How they glide. They will be perfect for knitting up the yarns which don't quite like the equally lovely Brittany pins.

Before leaving on Tuesday I realised that I also would like some reddish socks and settled on a lovely Regia yarn by Kaffe Fassett Shade 4258. I've persuaded myself that it always useful to have some socks on the go, for when lace knitting is a little too taxing, and pot holders too boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment