Friday, 7 January 2011

Completing knitting

I've had a lacy project on the needles since May 2010, and for a number of reasons which some knitters would sympathise with, just wasn't getting finished.
*







I was thinking of what New Year's resolutions I would consider in November....well this year I was determined that I would be well prepared for Christmas and the New Year.
*







In the end I decided to consider resolutions much more often, so in November, I decided that I would tackle the scarf....I started again on 24 December, and finished it yesterday. I gained courage and determination to complete after gaining inspiration from Ravelry. For any knitters who have not yet discovered Ravelry.....go there, please, your life will be changed!
*






In Kenilworth we have a lovely Knitting Group, and this week, I took my scarf and finished the edges....and here it is, curved around a lovely lot of beautiful hyacinth bulbs, which Mandy gave me for my birthday.
*
There is a final process which changes the bumpy scarf into a flat one where the pattern is shown off to best effect. It takes starting by a soak of around 30 minutes to relax the fibres, then about 45 minutes to position dozens of pins to stretch off the piece. Sometimes I rather like the textured effect, and maybe when a lace item is washed a second or third time, I dry the item flat without stretching. In Victorian and Edwardian times, people used to send off their lace and knitted shawls to women who wash and reblock items for a living. In one of the recent episodes of an Edwardian Farm, a piece of lace was being washed. The post was extremely reliable and an item could be back with the owner in less than a week!
*

No comments:

Post a Comment