Monday 25 June 2018

In a Vase on Monday - Its too hot

Its too hot, even in greenest Somerset.  We have birds queuing for the three water stations.  My pots of Japanese Grass Hakonechloa add a cool element in garden and my lady which stood near the pond in my previous garden tries to keep cool too!  All these pictures were taken before breakfast as I toured round the garden, watering pots.



I could have picked Clematis Vienetta which reminds me of the cool iced dessert...
or white Iceberg Roses




or the pretty white edged sedum, which I believe is Sedum erythrostictum 'Frosty Morn'


This plant came from my friend and IAVOM contributor....

On Saturday, we went and spent some time at the Country Garden Festival then had a walk around the Bishop's Palace Gardens.  Alison brought a lovely bunch of sweetpeas which are so perfect, and in the colour matching Caithness Vase they have been on the mantel shelf, and this morning, I was feeling too hot to go out and pick flowers.  It Monday, its in a Vase, they were grown by an IAVOM contributor, but not me!


After taking this photograph, succumbing to their wonderful fragrance...and yes the pollen count is very high...I thought of my neighbour, and off they went to spend another couple of days spreading their charm and beauty with her.  Kay knows she is getting someone else's flowers....often my IAVOM flowers go to a neighbour.

Its not just Alison who is on the ball with regards to Sweetpeas...just go and see Cathy's.

12 comments:

  1. Your garden looks so beautiful.....it has been cool here but as the week ends, we are supposed to heat up above average into the 90s for a while. It seems the garden is definitely in for a huge shift soon. I love your sweet peas regardless where they came from....mine are waiting still to flower so I will enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are being too kind Donna, the Camera does not lie...each of the elements is just a cameo of the best...the rest is a work in progress! Alison is a very talented gardener and her knowledge and love of flowers shines through.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, I hope your lady is wearing sunscreen. Sweet peas are a favorite of mine. Although I bought seeds this year, I forgot to plant them oops. Yours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly she hasn't and has many blemishes as a result. I'm sure your sweetpeas will do just as well next year.

      Delete
  3. The sweet peas are perfect in that vase. They are a plant I've never tried, partly because of space issues but also I think it is too hot where I garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a thoughtful gift from Alison. Your lady looks very similar to the lady we rescued from my parent's garden. She had turned green after her move west but it doesn't seem to have rained much at all since himself gave her good wash in the spring. Hope that you have a good book and a long cool drink to hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna...practicing my rain dance!

      Delete
  5. You had many great blooms in your garden to choose from (I LOVE that Clematis!) but, on hot days, sometimes it just makes sense to go with the flow. The gifted sweet peas are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris...yes I tried to count the blooms today as even more are coming out. The plant has been in the tub and this is its second year.

      Delete
  6. Glad you were able to pass on the joy. Still no sign of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frosty Morn seems the ideal cooling plant during the current weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian...think Aloe Vera in the form of a cooling cream should be applied to many a gardener's sunburn. I really did not plan this post with all its 'cooling allusions'....it all just fell into place!

      Delete