Saturday 2 February 2019

Winter garden beauties

Flowering since the middle of January, a little pack of Iris Reticulata Harmony has been drawing the eye.  Just around them are my three Phlomis purpurea Matagallo which I started from seed last March.


Standard snowdrops are emerging around the garden.  These standard single and double clumps are from some of the clumps which I divided in our previous garden to be able to bring some to Somerset.  The litter of leaves from the evergreen oak are still on the surface, but are gradually being drawn down by the worms.  My special snowdrops are close up to the conservatory, where we have been enjoying watching them as we have our breakfast each morning.



Shoots on the Sorbaria sorbifolia 'Sen' are just shooting.  The plant is a large pot brought up against the back wall of the house.  I bought this last year, and shall enjoy the coral pink and green shoots grow and leaves unfurl over the next few weeks.


In December I had been wondering what to buy my son for Christmas.  When he was young he went through a period when he had a carnivorous plant.  When I saw another form and read up that it was hardy, I decided to get him one.  Of course, having read up about them, I realised that I too would like to try one.  I had seen them on display at the RHS shows etc...and having read up about them realised they would be interesting to grow.  Despite the cold and the snow, this plant is thriving on the show shelf outside the shed.  This Sarracenia thrives on overwatering and full sunshine too.  I found a site with clear instructions which no doubt I shall dip into from time to time:https://www.carnivorousplants.co.uk/resources/how-to-grow-pitcher-plants/ 


Inside the conservatory some of my succulents are being cossetted.....



No comments:

Post a Comment