Saturday 15 February 2020

Six on Saturday - 15 February 2020

The Prop is extolling his crocus, and a few other nearly emerging specials.  Some of us despite the weather, and friends from overseas too will be joining in.

Both last weekend and this one are marked by a certain 'confinement'.  This week Dennis is raging as I write, with at least 48 hrs more and Mr S and I coming to the conclusion that a trip to Shepton Mallet Snowdrop festival is off the agenda, even if it is running, as the drive there entails country roads with many overhanging trees.


(1) Snowdrop seedlings: Last Monday this snowdrop was the star of my IAVOM.

Galanthus Pleasenameme 

Whether it was one I brought with me riding along on another plant, or maybe it is one that I planted the first year I was here but left unlabeled.  It has settled in and is thriving, with seed sown from ripened fruit last year coming up like little clumps of chives.



(2) Frosty Morn

Although for a couple of nights this week temperatures have dipped at low as 3 C, and we have have no frosty mornings, this little Sedum Frosty Morn lights up the dim and wet days.  Its 'current' name is Hylotephium erythrostictum 'Frosty Morn'.  This is a perennial hardy succulent which will bear pale flowers later in the summer.  For now its blue green waxy leaves with wavy cream edges add a soft glow.  Given to me by my friend Alison, like several plants given by friends, a ramble round the garden reminds me of many shared pleasures with friends,  Seedlings of snowdrops and cyclamen are peeping through too. 


Hylotelephium erythrostictum Frosty Morn


(3) Corydalis


Amongst the useful fern like leaves which never died down this year, the yellow flowers of Corydalis cheilanthifolia are starting to emerge

Corydalis cheilanthifolia
(4) Corydalis Flexuosa Blue Dragon with more than sufficient moisture....

Corydalis Flexuosa Blue Dragon



(5) Clematis shoots

Growing in a pot with a nice support is Clematis Olympia.  Its many shoots promises a fine display.  I bought this clematis on my first Spring Plant Show at the Bishop's Palace from Marcel Floyd.  Last autumn he came to give a talk at the local HPS where I was able to show him a picture of the plant and have the name confirmed.

Clematis Olympia shooting
Hopefully by May it will be at least as good as it was last May


(6) Passing the time with reading and being entertained by good writing

On recommendation from a fellow Blogger I have had my nose in this book, making notes and wondering just where I can fit in some of the plants mentioned.  Isabel Bannerman's knowledge and love for her newish garden invoke the pleasures of gardening.


 Last year we had Chris Beardshaw as our special speaker at Henton Gardening Club. Last week I found this edition in the 'Just Arrived' section of our library, and I have been dipping in and out, enjoying the entries and noting interesting facts.  I love the one about Nasturtiums.


12 comments:

  1. Nice to anticipate the clematis. Lovely close-up of the snowdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely clematis, and to meet the chap it is named after is even better! Hope you stayed home, safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking sourdough etc...almost pleased for the 'lockin'.

      Delete
  3. That's a beautiful corydalis. I only have one, a very recent gift from a friend and I think it's a pale blue one and the foliage is so very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love the foliage, such a lovely addition early in the year.

      Delete
  4. My Frosty Morn is starting to pop it's head through the soil. It got devoured by slugs and snails ladt year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck with keeping them away. My slugs here seem to keep clear.

      Delete
  5. Lovely clematis and snowdrops. I never have much luck with clematis other than the Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently listened to a Tamsin Westhorpe podcast interviewing CHRIS Beardshaw, they mentioned this book. I was able to buy it on Amazon, 64p plus delivery! Tamsin’s podcasts have some very interesting people on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old dogs teaching each other new tricks. Clever!! This is the first time I am listening to a 'Podcast'. Thanks for this lead, I am sitting still, and listening quietly.

      Delete
  7. Oh what a shame that you have had to call your trip off to the snowdrop festival Noelle. I was supposed to be visiting Cathy (Rambling In The Garden) today for her NGS open garden but we decided we best be prudent and stay put 😞 Himself recently bought me 'Scent Magic' as a birthday present. Still mulling over your snowdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous looking clematis. The pale yellow corydalis much prettier than the bright yellow one growing in my garden.

    ReplyDelete