Saturday 8 May 2021

Six on Saturday - 8 May 2021


1. Shell pink this isn't, however, this small and dainty hardy geranium, with her magenta blooms is starting off early summer with a bang.  Did I say summer?  It is still far cooler than usual, and the fleece hasn't been put away yet.  This little plant is quite hardy though, and no slug is drawn to it either.

Geranium cinereum subcaulescens

 

2. I used to think Aubretia was easy to grow because I was used to see it tumbling over stone walls in the Cotswolds.  This was has taken a couple of years to make a reasonable patch.  

Aubretia Blue Beauty

3. Phlox divaricata 'Chattahoochee' is much happier in its new position. It has grown into a good clump. Of the cuttings that I took, only one survived.  The slugs seem to like nibbling round the thin stems, and I ought to have kept them in pots till they were a little sturdier.  It is just starting into bloom.

 Phlox divaricata 'Chattahoochee'

I added a different phlox to this border: Phlox divaricata 'Clouds of Perfume'.  This one is taller, has  brighter green leaves, and soft blue petals. All I can say for now is I wished I had bought more, had room for more, maybe some cuttings taken this year, will find space.  

Phlox divaricata 'Clouds of Perfume'

I had seen this phlox growing in one of lovely gardens I had visited last year, so when this is out it will remind me to walk up to Milton Lodge Gardens and enjoy some of their tea and cake, and their views and their delightful gardens.

The Phlox bifida Ralph Hayward taken earlier this week demonstrates what I would have missed if I had cut it back.  Maybe after it has flowered will be time for cutting it back.



4. Over in the shady border it is time for the lovely creamy white flowers of  Dodecatheon meadia alba to be the one to draw me out into the garden.


5. Back in the conservatory, where I love to sit and view the garden keeping nice and warm, I have a few succulents, and my species Pelargoniums. Pelargonium ardens is just coming into flower.



6. As a young Mum I used to have an allotment to which I used to cycle, with my son on the child seat, and watering can hanging from the handlebars.  Allotment picnics were always a lovely way to pick salad and eat it still squeaking.  This must have been taken during the summer,  I must have gone in the car that day, as I was probably digging potatoes too.  Apart from the initial double digging, when I had a little help, I did it all on my own. In those days I sowed most things straight into the ground, but had glass cloches.


I now just have only a very small patch at a different garden, but still enjoy growing a few veg. These days I seem to start sowings in small pots.  Here are the courgettes:  two yellow, and two green, which will be garden ready by the time the threat of frosts will be over.


We shall all be waiting on calmer milder weather to start planting out less hardy things.  Whatever the weather we join in under the protection of Jon the Propagator, with much to entertain, inform and educate there from several other SOSs.





20 comments:

  1. Goodness, you are the prompter of memories! I recall the days of going with my father to the "plots" where he grew his vegetables as well as having the back garden at home completely given over to vegetables also. And the geranium - I was looking at it in the garden yesterday, rather sorrowfully, for it reminded me of The Burren where were have been at this time of the year for the past ten years or so for walking and searching out wildflowers, especially native orchids. I miss this outing very much. Your dodecatheon is standing very strongly. Mine are inclined to be smaller in stature but they do grow in their hundreds as they self-seed prolifically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall leave the dodecantheon alone, not dead heading it the moment it sheds its petals. To have even two or three of these will be a treat. I hope it won't be long before you can get out on your wild flower safaris Paddy.

      Delete
  2. Love the photo of you and your son and the allotment haul, that cauli is amazing! You have also reminded me of Chatahochee (forgive spelling), we grew it at Cliffe, but I think struggled to keep it going. Lots of lovely phlox. Have a good week, Sis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The following week I had fifteen of these. On the way home I used to stop off at friends or acquaintances to drop them off. At first they thought the caulis were jokes as they were so big and firm. The first time I was home after dark, and my husband was starting to feel anxious. That was well before mobile phones!

      Delete
  3. This 'Ralph Hayward' Phlox is a beauty! Fortunately, you have kept it as it is ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the ideal would be to have a number of the plants and carry out different regimes the same year. Its a question of judgement when only has one plant and is not experienced. I have joined the Alpine Garden Society and there are some very experienced growers, who may advise me in the future.

      Delete
  4. I had a Clouds of Perfume phlox once but the slugs and snails polished it off. It's lovely though and I must give it another go. Great photo of you and your son and the allotment produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be on slug watch tonight, as we have had a little, sadly not enough rain today.

      Delete
  5. I like the photo of you with your harvest. It looks magnificent and no easy task with young children in tow. The Phlox 'Clouds of Perfume' is one I thought I would try some time, particularly after your positive comments about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had one child, and spent time at the allotment when he was at play school etc., or took him with me. He loved harvesting and also sowing seeds etc.

      Delete
  6. Great to see the old photo, and what a haul! You wouldn't have got that lot on the handlebars!

    A lovely selection of phlox - I particularly like 'Chattahoochee'. It's a nice shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I surprised myself: without Matthew on the child seat, I could fit quite a harvest there in a sack, in my paniers and on the handlebars. I still do the majority of my shopping using large paniers. Yes we do have a car, but I see it as the exercise that keeps me trim, and it so very easy to park too!

      Delete
  7. I have a memory of an allotment across the road from the sewage works and of going over there to get barrowfulls of something brown. From the age of four we had a big enough garden my dad wouldn't have had an allotment, so am I remembering before then or was it someone elses? Prompter of memories indeed. That'll bug me now until I forget it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how young the rhythm and love of gardening begins. Maybe we have it in our genes, and we just latch onto it by nature.

      Delete
  8. Very healthy veggie plants you seem to have there and just the right number too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a spare tomato plant and can't give it away! Must sow some more lettuce though.

      Delete
  9. A lovely photo of a younger you and son Noelle with your allotment haul.That is rather an impressive cauli! I like the little geranium with it's vivid colouring. Hardy geraniums are on the whole such easy plants to grow and one family that the molluscs leave well alone 😂

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Anna, the ground or whatever I did was just right for the caulis, and there was plenty of space to set them out. They were so heavy too. I think in a few weeks time, the garden will be covered in different geraniums, where the spring plants are just finishing doing their thing now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never had much success with lovely Chattahoochee but I have recently planted a Clouds of Perfume and hope to keep it happy. I have tracked down your blog at last, I could never find a link for it before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Chloris, I think these plants need a season or two to feel happy. I look forward to seeing your garden through the web too.

    ReplyDelete