Monday 14 June 2021

In a Vase on Monday - 14 June 2021

 We are fast approaching mid Summer and here temperatures have been soaring.  The flower which says Summer is here in the garden is the Nasturtium.  I've always liked these.  As well as the ones that come up around the place they were last year, their seeds having overwintered wherever they fell, I have a few plain green leaved plants, which I grew from the finds a few weeks ago in the 'Orange Jacket'...


These are staying in the kitchen, and a few of these pretty blooms will end in our salad today.


The peppery flavour of flowers and leaves garnishing a beetroot and walnut, and sheep's feta cheese salad will be just the thing on a hot day, sat somewhere in the shade.

These are firsts and very fiery which tie in pretty well with Cathy's leading post this week: Keep the Home Fires Burning. 

10 comments:

  1. Oh what glorious colours they are - I especially like the one with the orange rim. My nasturtiums were very reluctant to germinate this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These seeds were in pots kept in the warm, and they do love the sun.

      Delete
  2. These are so gorgeous Noelle. So you do eat them? I'm growing some for the first time but have hesitated to taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, however I like them in a mixed salad along with other leaves. Since I started eating them last year, we are looking forward to this year's crop.

      Delete
  3. So pretty, and I love the flavour too. I am growing some in the herb garden this year after many failed attempts in the old garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are best on quite poor soil in full sun, but I did germinate these in pots, except for the self sown ones. My soil is a little of the rich side, so I need to keep cutting them back to keep them under control.

      Delete
  4. They're among the most cheerful of plants I think. While they grow well on a local trail, I've yet to get them to establish in my garden, although I get the odd flower now and then. I suspect my sandy soil is just too dry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious vase (and salad)! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such easy going and none demanding plants Noelle and always so cheerful. I've gone for a pale yellow shade this year. I do like the sound of that salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing yours Anna, in a Vase at some time this summer.

      Delete