Saturday 23 October 2021

Six on Saturday - 23 October 2021

We have had wind and rain, warm days and cool clear days, all in the space of a week.  The nights are getting shorter, and there is loads to do in the garden.  I ought to be there getting on with tasks, but it always interesting to see what other are up to, and also having this log allows me to look back at plants, my thoughts when first planting them, and the changes in the garden.

1. Right up by the back wall I had a lovely clump of Corydalis cheilanthifolia, which had done very nicely for a few years, and I had also moved a piece to another area.  In my autumn clear up I was sad to notice that both had decided to pop their clogs.  However as I cleared along the wall, I found a self seeded one.  When a nice plant finds the place it wants to grow, l hope it flourishes there and also flowers next year.


2. The strong winds and rains tested some plants, and the delightful late flowering Salvia Leucantha bore the blunt.  It is destined to be removed, but with some many flowers, I'll prop it up and enjoy a further week or two of its handsome foliage and flowers.  The little rooted cutting was sent by the lovely Gill.  I have taken cuttings, and young plants will be planted elsewhere next spring.


3. I picked up a few ready grown Wallflower 'Sugar Rush' Primrose earlier this week, I may well pot them up individually so that they can grow on a little, then be placed around the garden and also in the Salvia Leucantha gap, once the plants are removed.


4. Last year I lost the prostrate rosemaries and also the Foxtail one.  I have a small one coming on: will this do for good drainage, as it is suspended between two rocks?


5.  Pear 'Beth'  when first planted in December 2019had plenty of room: 



Here is it this week in October 2021..



On one side even though cut to the ground last winter Fuchsia Delta's Sarah is a well over a metre high and finally flowering nicely. and on the other the upright Rosemary is starting to flower.  You can see smaller good rosemary replacements waiting to find their rightful place.  The pear obviously needs to have both the Fuchsia and Rosemary removed.  Fuchsia cuttings will be taken this weekend! Both plants are pending removal.

6.Each autumn till now, I have dithered about picking Apple D'Arcy Spive. It  is a late season Russet type apple discovered in the garden of  The Hall in the village of Tollesdunt D'Arcy in the eighteenth century. as also learnt that  they ought to be picked after Bon Fire night.  Of course that may have been to ensure non were wasted in the bobbin games, as these would have been precious keepers. 


Its leaves have supported upteem creatures, and yet there are apples to pick.









12 comments:

  1. Is your fuchsia Delta's Sarah in the ground (mine is in a pot, outdoors and in the greenhouse for winter)? I suppose so. Do you trim it a bit? I had asked Jim about another fuchsia and he was telling me not to prune it until the end of winter because it protected the new growths. Seeing yours as beautiful and as big, makes me want to plant it in the ground... A try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a hardy fuchsia, and this is its third season since being planted in the garden. Here it is pretty mild, and yes I have cut it down by three quarters or more in the autumn, but this against the advice which suggests prunning in the spring. If I were you Fred, I would keep it in the pot this winter, but try taking some cuttings now, and plant out in the spring. It will have the chance to establish itself from cuttings over the summer, and then you could leave it in overwinter.

      Delete
    2. Good idea, I'll do that!

      Delete
  2. I hope my Fuchsia Delta's Sarah looks as good as yours in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always nice to see a Corydalis! I'm the same as you - if a plant seeds itself somewhere, more often than not I give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Salvia leucantha would be flat on the ground if it wasn't lying on top of something else. I did cuttings very late, so I must dig up the main plant. It's quite a brave step to plant apples and pears in a well stocked small garden. Are you envisaging restricting their size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been 'prunning along with Jim'! and also looking at the prunning at The Newt. I'll post a blog with a few pictures of their fruit trees soon.

      Delete
  5. I hope the little Corydalis is happy in its wall pocket. I loved reading the history of the D'Arcy apple. Does it taste good? (asking cos I have just about got space for another fruit tree.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it is fully mature, and ready to eat, it has the most complex of flavours. WE share it, and eat it quietly the more to savour its flavour!

      Delete
  6. An interesting six as always Noelle 😄 I love your hare. I picked up some wallflowers from a garden centre a couple of weeks ago. I think they are 'Sugar Rush' too but too dark outside now to check on the label. They are already in flower! I think that I need to do some judicious snipping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just about to write 'interesting post, as always', then noticed Anna had written exactly the same! But it was, so I shall stick with that!

    ReplyDelete