Sunday 31 July 2022

First Runner Beans of the Season

 A meagre picking but will be much appreciated.  This year the beans I sowed direct into the ground failed totally.  Maybe it was old seed, perhaps it was the weather, or it could have been mice.  I saw a little creature with large ears passing across the garden, so sweet!


These came from the perennial runner beans, one several years old and the others which were planted last year. I probably shan't have sufficient to make our runner bean chutney. These were white flowered beans, but I shall probably buy the self fertile red runner bean for next year.  Where the runner bean seed failed, I bought a tray of climbing french beans as by then it had got hot and dry, and french beans cope much better than runner beans with the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment