Saturday 8 October 2022

Six on Saturday - 7 October 2022

 A few more cooler nights mean Autumn colours are coming out, and with a little rain, the garden is a joy.  Nice time to move plants, and generally garden, but Saturday morning is the time for selecting and posting for SOS, hosted by The Propagator. 

1. Japanese grass Hakonechloa Macra Aureola as ever a delight, catching the breeze or glowing in the autumn sun.



2. Autumn Colour from the Amelanchier Trees is about on time compared to the previous years.  Sitting in the living room, looking out through the bay window,  we can see wonderful colour highlighted by the branches, which appear dark against the afternoon sun.



Most of you Six on Saturday members will have read with anticipation Gill Heaven's posts over on 'Off the Edge Gardening'.  For me, her word 'Synchronicity', from her comment to mine, on the topic of Apple Crumble is the word of the week.  Stay with me: 'Synchronicity' has replaced 'Loquacious' as word of the week. Gill has such a way with words and posts will make anyone smile.

An example of Synchronicity or maybe the pleasure I take in finding it, was also enjoyed  in reading articles in magazines, which leads me on to a couple of quotes from Garden Illustrated 318, which hit the mat this week.

"Where trees are a focal point, it pays to choose specimens that have been grown next to each other to create a sense of cohesion", 

" Deciduous tress with beautiful blossom, late-season colour and a dense tracery of winter branches form the backbone of the garden." Screen Time by Natasha Goodfellow. 

The article and these quotes were showing Amelanchiers.

3. The second plash of autumn colour is in the back garden from the golden leaves of   Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire'. 


4. Alstromeria Indian Summer is living up to its name.


5. The flowers on this plant are very small but still delight arriving late in the season.

Serratula tinctoria var. seoanei


6. Anticipation as I wait to see what the blooms on this Chrysanthemum will look like, how it will perform etc. It is the Chrysanthemum Picasso, a plant that I acquired last year as part of the Conservation Scheme.  I have already given three plants back, and hopefully will be able to propagate far more next year, given how sturdy and healthy the plants are now. Growth is strong and healthy and the plants nicely domed and compact not requiring any staking, just about perfect for the small garden or front of the border.



Just thought I would mention that this week, we saw a very yellow butterfly with black borders, flitting around far too fast to picture it: it was a Clouded Yellow.

That's your lot, I'm off to enjoy gardening....




11 comments:

  1. The butterfly sounds really lovely, I don't think I've seen one with those colours. Love the Alstromeria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, the sunshine is really showing up the colours, and with the cooler nights, the autumn flush will be on all the deciduous trees shortly.

      Delete
  2. I may say it every time but the Hakonechloa is really a plant that I love. 3 or 4 years ago we saw them in the garden centres around here but now they are rarer : I don't know why and I will have to order it online. Nice alstroemeria flowers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fred, good luck with finding some nice ones, and mine bulked up over the years, all of mine came from the one small 7cm small pot!

      Delete
  3. Amelanchier really are beautiful small trees. Every year I think I should get an Alstromeria Indian Summer (I think Jim features them sometime too) and every year I forget. Next year. Thanks for the link to Gill's apple crumble post - I'd missed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jim's front garden sports this one, and he grows 'replacements' in his tunnel, so that he can swap them around. How about that for dedication to front garden shows.

      Delete
  4. Alemanchier is barely known in Australia, and I only know about it from seeing posts about it on UK blogs. I sent away for some seeds years ago, but regrettably they didn’t germinate. Chrysanthemum of course, I’m familiar with, but not Picasso, and I had to Google it. Can only say wow! I look forward to seeing yours in flower very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be a variety of indigenous trees to you or large shrubs with which you could get a similar effect. I suppose it depends which climate zone you are in. The Picasso is not easily found and that is why the Hardy Plant Society have these schemes to support a particular form and make sure the plant survives.

      Delete
  5. I bought three Chrysanthemum varieties a year or two back and none have come through winter in the ground. I have several in pots, backup cuttings having been taken early on. Slugs were in evidence but the whole root systems died. The Hakonechloa picture is a delight, I want to get more in pots so they be moved about for the best effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so surprised Jim, you are our gardening 'hero'. But thanks for the warning. I may get some cuttings going fairly soon just in case this also happens to me. I do move my Hakonechloa around to great effect.

      Delete
  6. The Autumn colour on my very ancient Amelanchier is too fleeting. I've planted a new one, but I'm still waiting for it to get tall enough to see from the house. Congratulations on your propagation success.

    ReplyDelete