Monday 6 November 2023

In a Vase on Monday

I was surprised to be able to pick such flowers as I join Cathy on her weekly In A Vase on Monday celebrations of flowers from our garden.  It is coming up to 10 years for this get together and Cathy has suggested a challenge for our anniversary.  I may well join in this time!

Yesterday in the garden during periods of sunshine, there were butterflies on the Chrysanthemums and humming bird hawkmoths feeding from the Salvia Amistad, as well as Queen Bumble bees feeding on the Fuchsias.  It was almost like Summer, and today's post features the overlapping of seasons:  the roses say Summer but this is a late flowering hardy Chrysanthemum.



All be it that a few of the other petals damaged by so much rain were removed, the roses with their strong stems are from the Rose Home Florist Timeless Collections are a good colour match for the Chrysanthemum Hillside Apricot.




I'm currently reading 'The Treeline', which I happened to see on the shelf of the local library last week.  I have always loved trees and some of you may know that recently I have been devoting a weekly post to my appreciation of them.  I had heard of some of the concepts contained in the book, catching odd mentions on the radio: Ben Rawlence has thoroughly researched this book, visiting many of the areas and speaking to Scientists and listening to local indigenous people. I have had to look up the meaning of some of words and concepts about the botany of trees, which I have found very interesting. Having also touched on climatology in my OU studies there were were ground breaking and current ideas which are of great interest.  It is not an easy read, but an eye opening one.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely, Noelle. The central rose is luscious. I have that (or similar) chrysanthemum this week too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the similarity with your Chrysanthemum Sheffield Pink, I think the petals on Hillside Apricot are a little longer, with a tint of blue about its pink. Both lovely of course.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pinks and the idea of pollinators still around makes me happy. Here they are tucked in for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely soft colours in your vase, Noelle, and what a perfect rose - although there are some blooming here, finding a perfct one might be hard, although I have removed some blooms with prunings today and brought the inside. Your current read sounds most intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as if you could be in a different country Noelle with butterflies, moths and bees still gadding about 😂 No such good fortune in this neck of the woods. Those lovely flowers sing of summery months. Your book sounds an interesting if challenging read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty - and unexpected - mix of flowers, Noelle! The book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your vase does indeed look quite summery Noelle. How lovely to have butterflies and hawk moths still! I love the rose and Chrysanthemum combination. Glad to hear you didn't get all the rain and wind they had further north and west.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear that was my comment above Noelle… forgot to fill in my name and website again! LOL!

    ReplyDelete