We had a few days 'up north' on a coaching holiday, visiting places here and there with a few gardens as well. Some people bring back souvenirs, or as Mr S overheard someone say of the gift shops: 'food or landfill'. I can't resist plants at least if they don't survive it would be 'compost' rather than landfill, except for the pots which I reuse or recycle. One of the fabulous gardens we visited was that of Arley Hall. I came back with a couple of plants.
1. From Arley Hall nursery this Helenium 'Short and Sassy' was such a souvenir. I felt that as it did not need staking, and would give me some late summer into autumn colour, it would be just right for the garden. It is still in its pot but already being enjoyed by visiting bees.
![]() |
| Helenium 'Short and Sassy' |
At RHS Bridgewater which we visited earlier in the week, they had a trial of Heleniums, and my favourite there was Helenium Waltraut, but that needed staking even though it wasn't that tall.
2. The second plant, which I completely fell for, is this Viola: it was love at first sight!
![]() |
| Viola Heartthrob |
3. Another favourite of bees is the Alstromeria 'Indian Summer'.
4. In my search for new compost I visited the closest nursery, which is a small one, and looked over some of their small pots of plants: I had been thinking of growing Stachys 'Silver Carpet' for some time as the Wool Carder Bee would use the hairs to line its nest. I might be even lucky to see and hear the Shrill Carder Bee, which I understand is around in Somerset.
![]() |
| Stachys 'Silver Carpet' |
5. All around the area where I planted the Stachys are other plants which are a real draw for the bees such as this delightful pink Origanum 'Bristol Cross'.
![]() |
| Origanum Bristol Cross with bee |
6. Many insects visit the Eryngium Silver Ghost which self seed themselves and I was delighted that the Jersey Tiger Moth managed to shoulder the bees out of its way.
![]() |
| Jersey Tiger Moth on Eryngium 'Silver Ghost' |






The Taunton Flower Show is the place to be, Graeme was there yesterday I think. Love your new plants, all beauties. However, your last Tiger Moth photo is amazing, how wonderful! Enjoy the show, Sis x
ReplyDelete