Wednesday 22 December 2010

Panettone recipe from BBC Radio 4 Food Programme

Having heard the weekend Food Programme, I decided to try their Panettone, and downloaded the recipe. Monday I soaked the fruit and started the sponge. Yesterday I completed the mix, and found a warmish place for the 'cake' to rise. It took all day and then into the oven it went. This morning we had it for breakfast. What did it taste like....well Mr S thought it tasted like a big lardy cake....and I think I must agree with him. I do not think I would do this recipe again. Knowing what I like I'll choose my next Panettone recipe with more care. My pumpkin bread is far far better.
*
*


*
*
It may be that I added candied peel and not fresh grated, yes that might be it, then there was no spice or vanilla, that could be it, then it was probably too cool for a good rise, that could be it. Mr S and I disagreed over the crystallised ginger. I used goat's butter rather than cow's so there was not the added luscious butter flavour.....and I do like spices, and there were no spices. Cooking temp in the recipe gas 180C which I think in retrospect is a little too low. Again I have reviewed the recipe and there is no salt. This could have been it, just a little salt really does help the dough to develop and rise.
*
Here is the loaf rolled up and ready to go into the tin






No comments:

Post a Comment