Monday 6 June 2011

Bread makers tools - Its a Pancheon that I want

Some people use bread makers, some use big mixers with dough hooks, and I have been tempted by the later when my hands are hurting, but I keep on with the hand method. I love the feel of the dough on my hands, and being able to feel the change in the dough as it is manipulated.

I feel a connection through dough and bread making to my Lincolnshire ancestors. I was thrilled to be taken by my Uncle Noel some time back, to see Wrawby Mill, which was owned and worked by one of great grand parents. Several years ago, when discussing bread making with my mother, she said that my Grand mother used to make her bread in a Pancheon. I have looked out for them in Museums, and old houses, and even sourced old ones. Each time I thought I had found the right one, Mr S gave me the look which meant that he did not think he wanted his bread made in them...maybe OK if I wanted to use it as a planter. Recently I even heard them mentioned on the radio, when it was explained that their manufacture died out because they were heavy, difficult to stack and transport, and once mass production started a different design of bowl took precedence.

After seeing my last 'old' pancheon which was not good enough for using on Friday, I just decided yet again to search. My mother's mantra to me of 'Seek and you shall find' is echoing in my head, as I found a Potter who is making them. I have viewed some of the Pancheons Paul Jessop makes on his blog, and I am in the process of contacting him to see what he can suggest. I can feel a weekend away to his neck of the woods coming up as soon as there is one ready.

At the weekend I was pleased to hear that Ian had tried out my sourdough recipe, and found it to be really good, with a thumbs up from Kevin too.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful pancheon, makes me think I need one too!! I start my bread off with my Kenwood mixer dough hook but then finish it by hand. I've got a stainless steel bowl bought at Richard Bertinet's which I love but I'm sure a handmade pancheon would improve my bread ..... just need to persuade Mr R!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful pancheon, Littlethorpe Pottery also still makes beautiful new pancheons. In the meantime I use a French cassoul for my bread (which is very similar). I find the shape actually seems to assist the dough development (particularly the sour dough). Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful pancheon, Littlethorpe Potteries also make new pancheons in three sizes. I am currently using a French cassoul (similar shape) very successfully. I find that the shape really does seem to improve the dough development, particularly in my sourdough, making it very worthwhile to get a new pancheon....right?

    ReplyDelete