Sunday 24 March 2013

Lemon Brioches

I chose this recipe for this weekend's bakes from my women's Institute Bread Book by Liz Herbert, made earlier during the week.  I made 1.5 times the recipe, and it works very well, giving 10 large brioches.  The method is fairly quick and it took me no more than three hours from start to finish.

I seem to have mastered the technique of filling, as I did not have a single one leak.  After I put the spoonful of lemon curd on the round, it was further stretched then carefully brought together, then put into the tins seam downwards.

The brioches have a lot less butter than my previous ones, which is one of the reasons I chose to try this recipe.  The brioches are very good, but not quite as good as the ones with many more times the butter.  Here they are just filled with curd, and in the buttered tins ready for the last prove.



However with the lovely homemade lemon curd filling, they were delicious for breakfast warmed up with a nice cafetiere of coffee.  These have about 6 grams of butter per individual brioche as apposed to 18g per brioches for Paul Hollywood's recipe.  A real indulgence would be the 18g butter per brioche with the lemon curd filling! We had two during the week, and on Saturday the two taken from the freezer were thawed overnight in the bread bin and refreshed quickly in the oven whilst making the coffee.  It was hard to tell that they had not just been baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment