Mr S has started to do a little more in the kitchen. This time he wanted to make a treat to take with us when we went down to Basingstoke at the weekend.
As usual he did not want any 'contribution' from me, but as he started to make his salami, he knew something was not quite right. Had I read the recipe before I would immediately have questioned the ratio of ingredients, and most probably have looked up some similar recipes to check...
The Biscuit Salami just would not set, and even frozen, is not quite right either. I have looked and looked for errata for this, and even phone Orion Books the publishers. The switch board only helped in so far as suggesting that I send in a letter, so I asked for an email address and have sent that in.
Should I get a reply, I'll post it here.
I've used many recipes in this book, and all have gone well until this one.
The recipe for Biscuit Salami from the Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking just does work. Mr S is very good at following recipes, but when I looked at this one, I could see that it just would not work. There is far too much liquid, and not sufficient butter to act as a firming agent, and the salami does not work even when put in the freezer!
This recipe should definitely be altered if there is a reprint or used elsewhere.