Monday 6 November 2017

In a Vase on Monday - Fire works and Opulent colours

The skies may have been lit up with fireworks over the last couple of nights, but I prefer peace...can you imagine what it must be like for all the small creatures and birds.  Moreover we pollute the air with chemicals which for most of the year we are trying to reduce!

My vase this week is my contribution with bright colours and opulence....

Hardy Fuchsia with golden leaves  Genii just leaps out.  With the intense magenta sepals, blue petals and long pistils this has the ow wow factor. I acquired this as a tiny rooted cutting from a major international wholesale grower for 25p when they gave a lecture at Kenilworth Horticultural club.  I brought it in a pot and it was planted out in the border earlier year, and both in foliage and as soon as it started to flower it has performed beautifully all summer.   Last night we had the first frost and it is still standing tall!  Yesterday we even had butterflies and bees visiting the fuchsia blooms.  I picked the flowers just as the light was fading Sunday evening, and this morning the light is perfect for taking pictures.



Staring for the first time as a cut flower is Salvia Corrugata...I bought the plant earlier this year at the Bishop's Palace Rare Plant Fair having fallen in love with the deeply corrugated leaves, and the lovely pale tan hairy reverse of the leaves.  The flowers are a brilliant deep blue, which closely match the blue of the Fuchsias. I saw the flowers on a larger plant further along and went back to buy the smaller plant.  Some nurseries say that it is not hardy, others that it is borderline...it has now been plated up in a larger pot, and I think it will continue there for a year or two, so that I can move it to shelter during inclement weather.



The Jasmine nudiflorum has been flowering for a few weeks.  I choose a couple of stems.  They are off a rather old woody plant which is destined to have the full rejuvenation treatment in the Spring.  The fading head of a stem of Autumn Joy, from one of my favourite plant families the Sedum, and the last element to give a little light froth a few stems of the flowering gold and green Japanese Grass Hakonechloa.

When about to link in with Cathy's Post this week, I see that she has gone for the Firework theme.  For lasting non polluting effects you can't beat her arrangement.  I wonder who else will have been inspired?  Do go and have a look.

19 comments:

  1. What a stunning arrangement. I love the fuchsias with the deep blue salvia. The yellow and chartreuse add a perfect counterpoint. Isn't it interesting that the lack of an explosion is celebrated with explosions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How right you are...maybe we should have complete peace instead, wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Your ingredients, each beautiful in its own right, combine to make a spectacular arrangement. I've never heard of that Salvia but I love its brilliant blue color and, as I may have said before, I have a soft spot for fuchsias. I'm not fond of pyrotechnic fireworks either, especially those set off by amateurs in our fire-risk area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fuchsia is fairly new to the market and I have since read that it is safe to -10C. I'll propagate next year, and when I have some growing away in pots as an insurance, I'll plant the 'mother' in the garden and see how it goes. As for the pyrotechnic, I do not see why they cannot do light shows with music as an alternative.

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous and graceful fuchsia, it drapes beautifully. Love that salvia, too. Well done, Noelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza...and just when I thought I was running out of material. Just goes to show how this meme gets us appreciating what we do have.

      Delete
  4. Clearly, great minds were on the same wavelength with floral fireworks this week. That Salvia is gorgeous. What an intense and deep color. That kind of salvia tends to be an annual here, so I usually don't bother with them. But maybe I should rethink that attitude looking at that color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if you managed to get some rooted cuttings from friends, it would be worth trying.

      Delete
  5. Your tall vase really lends itself to the fuchsia hanging over the edge, they look so pretty and lovely that you are still seeing bees around. You've got some good height in the centre and have reminded me that I never pruned a jasmine I had planned to start training. Well, you know how much I have to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison...you wouldn't have such a lovely garden if you did not put in the hours. And if not what would you do?

      Delete
    2. Read, stamp, sew, decorate, clean,...but I'd be very sad.

      Delete
    3. Read, stamp fine...sewing yes, decorate, yes, and you do have a lovely clean house...but being outside is the 'icing on the cake'. I prefer my cakes on the whole without icing, but also like cake to eat in the garden...

      Delete
  6. Oh that's a most striking arrangement Noelle. Is the salvia foliage aromatic? I'm with you when it comes to fireworks when it comes to both noise and air pollution. They can also cause genuine distress to some humans too :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for people who are affected, and my sympathy goes out to them. I used to like them, but my feelings are tainted by my knowledge of the effect on others and the environment.

      Delete
    2. I've just been down to have a rub of the leaves...they have a slight scent, pleasant, and not overpowering like some of the other salvias I have in the garden, and which I cannot have indoors are they are overpowering.

      Delete
  7. Oh this is stunning with the Fuchsia....I prefer peace too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rich blue of Salvia Corrugata is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I think my comment disappeared. I'll try again! Love the deep blue Salvia Noelle. And I agree with you on the fireworks. We don't have them until New Year's Eve here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The salvia and fuschia are opulent, and I like the way you've balanced their richness with the more delicate grass and jasmine stems - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete