Monday 27 November 2017

In a Vase on Monday - Lovestones

The more simple and 'common' the material for my vase, the more I feel that I have to find something to say about it which may be unknown or 'uncommon'.  Its been rather soggy and frosty over the last few days, and maybe it was because of this, we felt like a walk down the lane to enjoy some low summer sun.  In Somerset just along the boundary between the Mendips and the Levels we have hedges and ditches and  banks of evergreen Harts Tongue Fern, with ivy and other twining plants growing in the hedges.  Now the hedges are more or less leafless the outline of trees and longer views are a delight.  Being of short stature this is a bonus, where normally I have to stop at gateways, as a contrast Mr S being tall can normally forewarn me that a great view is coming up.

When I found that one of the old English regional names for Ivy was lovestones, I knew I had found the title for this week's arrangement.  Also it is just right because I love stones too.  Whether it is at the coast, or along a lake, or river, or just on a walk, my eye is drawn to pretty stones.....Just as my eye was drawn to the ivy in the hedgerows.



Ivies are wonderful for wildlife, it flowers late in the season, offering up their late nectar to nourish the last of the flying bees, bumblebees and hoverflies, and the berries too are enjoyed by the many birds here.

Upclose the geometry and texture of the flowers is interesting. Although this is the wild ivy, I do have a variegated ivy in the garden, not shown here, and enjoy the wide variety of shapes and forms in this family.


As always Cathy who hosts this meme has posted a colourful 'up beat' edition of In a Vase on Monday, so do go and see what others have come up.

11 comments:

  1. I am always fascinated by your ivy as ours produces foliage and nothing else....so it is wonderful to see the flower and berries.....and I love unusual details about plants so this was great to know it was called lovestones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovestones! Gosh, I have never heard them called that before; I only discovered that ivy flowers even existed a few years ago and immediately loved them all the more when you told me they are called lovestones in some places! Thanks so much for sharing this, Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovestones is a great name! Simple and elegant, they need no accompaniment in that pretty brass vase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely name! I rarely find any low enough to the ground to cut, or even to admire or study. They look good in a vase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard that term for ivy! I have a great deal of lovestones in my garden, especially at the boundary of our property in the untended area on our back slope. They ivy blooms there like nowhere else and the bees love the plant, which has given me a whole new appreciation for it. One day I'll follow your example and include some in a vase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well foraged, this looks lovely in contrast to your brass vase. And I am educated too, I have never heard that name but it is quite endearing. I love ivy and will be on the look out for their striking flowers around here now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the lovestones. The flowers are really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always valued ivy, even more so now as lovestones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely to see plants from the hedgerows - I didnt know lovestones was a name for ivy.this is one of the reasons I enjoy in a vase in monday. I learn such alot. I've not got anything from the hedgrows in my vase this week - it's a bit far... but I've got hardy fuchsia instead. Love bec xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love stones too - which is why I sign off my posts with my found map of Africa.
    Ivy I have, but I have never seen flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivies flower then fruit on the 'mature'stems where the form of leaves changes. Here where little flowers in the autumn they help the last of the pollinating insects build up reserves to see them through the winter.

      Delete