Monday 4 March 2019

In a Vase on Monday - The Start of Spring

Officially or in any case what is generally accepted in the UK the first of March is the start of Spring.  We have had a couple of warm sunny weeks in February, and now wet and windy returns.

Yesterday we had gales and rain as Storm Freya went over, and it is then that I went out to rescue a few blooms, as I thought that by today they would have been smashed to pieces.


The two stems of the starburst daffodil Rip van Winkle are the last from that clump.  Before it started to rain they were doing pretty well, but with rain and gales these two had to be picked off the soil, and showered off.  All the other blooms from Rip van Winkle had been used for posies over the last two weeks.

The two little tete a tete daffodils are the last to flower from a clump planted last spring.  I have three little pots of ready grown ones to place amongst the border this week.  The largest daffodil is in reality still a very small one: Narcissus pseudonarcissus.  Joining them are leaves from the Mahonia soft caress, a stem from Euphorbia x martini Ascot Rainbow and a few stems of Erysimum 'Bowles's Mauve.  The fern is Polystichum setiferum Bevis.

Going out to choose and cut flowers is getting me into the garden and noting down jobs to be done.  For example the new crosier shaped fronds are starting to unfurl but they are hidden from view by the surrounding older fronds.  I am in a dilemma as to whether I ought to leave the lovely but older green fronds or cut them off, and the Erysimum has outgrown its position but the early flowers are being visited by the bumblebees.  Am I to cut it down down or leave it?  Perhaps I am just in a dithering phase, but I am sure I shall get round to it this week, and clear the epimedium leaves at the same time, in readiness for new growth and flowers.

The stems of the Amelanchier which I posted look pretty with their little shoots of blooms....but they are not as well formed as the ones on the trees will be in a couple of weeks or so.  They are still worthy or decorating the room for the afternoon Sunday Tea ceremony.  Cathy has an oriental arrangement for her Strawberry and Cream Tea....do go and have a look!

10 comments:

  1. Good rescue job with your lovely daffodils! They are repaying you, and all of us, with their cheery flowers. Freya has been giving us a battering too but she hasn't spoilt my little ladies, offered here today! Amanda https://therunningwave.blogspot.com/2019/03/two-simple-vases-on-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and spring-like.I love Rip Van Winkle,starburst is a good description. I love Bowles Mauve too, but I know what you mean they get a bit untidy. But they are easy to grow from cuttings and grow on to a better shape and size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people have fancy cameras and apps that can do starbursts...I just thought these looked like that. I have some young plants taken from cuttings ready and waiting to spread their roots. I think after three years the old erysimums are worth renewing...but not quite in the same place. I'll leave it until other blooms open for the visiting bumblebees.

      Delete
  3. The purple and green and yellow make a lovely spring-like combination, Noelle - very pretty. I was looking at some of my ferns today thinking that I would cut off the old leaves, something I don't usually bother with - and last year I cut out the old epimedium leaves for the first time ever and my goodness what a difference it has made. Have you got somewhere you could move the erysimum to? I would move it if it was me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. Its amazing that the warm weather means than the crocus are nearly over, and only the snowdrops in the shade are putting on a show. The erysimum is for the green waste...but I have a few rotted cuttings ready to go in.

      Delete
  4. A lovely collection of spring delights! Your plants are a bit ahead of ours this year as we've had colder than usual temperatures. This vase holds the promise that spring will make it's presence known...eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter...now that we are further south, the spring seems to be even earlier...we just have to accept what the weather brings. I shall enjoy seeing the rerun of spring through your blog posts.

      Delete
  5. I do like Rip van Winkle, it's one of my favourites. It all looks very colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely tribute to early spring.Rip Van Winkle is quite charming and I love Euphorbias, that is a really pretty one. Hope Freya is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that color combination and, after seeing your Erysimum blooms, I'm regretting that none of those plants remain in my garden. On my next trip to the the garden center, I'm going to make a point of scouting them out in the hope of rectifying that omission.

    ReplyDelete