Saturday 26 September 2020

Six on Saturday - 26 September 2020

This past week has definitely seen a change to more autumnal weather, with a little rain, winds and much cooler temperatures.  We must fete what beauties remain because who knows what next week, or month may bring. The Prop has some classic autumn specials. 

(1) Sedum spectabile Autumn Joy now has a little space with surrounding perennials cut back a little. I feel that it is a little later flowering this year.  A standard garden plant but still a good doer, and worth having at least one clump. On its left is Aster amellus King George...one which will be divided this year. This year I seem to be cutting back and dividing plants rather early.


(2) Will this be the last cucumber?  Having planted some seed earlier this year, rather late, and growing cucumber for the first time in many years.  I picked my first cucumber on the 1st of August, and with luck will have ones to pick up to the end of September.  Just two months of cucumbers doesn't seem very long, but I have enjoyed growing them, and they have been delicious.  I had thought the plants were giving up about three weeks ago with yellowing leaves, but a good dose of liquid feed  has seen green up then put on new growth and hopefully there will be a few more fruit, should frosts keep away.  They are growing on the outside against the conservatory, and have been holding up its autumn clean down.  You should have seen the look on Mr S's face when I suggested moving them into the conservatory, all I can say it that is not going to happen! Next year I shall sow seeds earlier.


(3) One of the 'Perennial Runner Bean' plants after a cut back of the fruiting stems, and very old leaves, thinks it is a young one again, and is setting beans even better than mid summer.


(4) French Beans: it is very nearly curtains for them.  I've left a few stems and should the very cold weather hold off, a few setting flowers should yield a few beans to add to stir fries. On the whole I grow beans for the young tender pods.  A few that were too high, or the back got away. I wasn't going to throw the beans with seeds away, and  have been cooked them whilst tender, and frozen them down ready to add to casseroles during the winter. 


(5) I could not stop: gone too far? Only time will tell.  .


The Artemisia Powis Castle had grown rather too well.  It is the ideal plant for the hot dry sloping front garden, but I had concerns about its ability to cope with a wet and windy winter ahead.  I went out merely to trim it back a little.

The smell was divine.  A few cuttings were taken as an insurance against its demise.


(6) Dahlia: just the one in the garden.


Dahlia Gallery Art Fair has been hearing all about the wonderful specimens that having been growing in Six on Saturday's gardens, such as  The Prop's magnificent Dahlia Karma Corona. We don't often talk aloud: we use a form of telepathy.  Don't ask!  However Dahlia's rescue from the garden to the tub, has worked.  It is in full view and therefore can receive all the attention it needs: watering, feeding, dead heading, blackfly squished etc.  It is certainly a 'high maintenance' plant.


14 comments:

  1. These beans look delicious! The photo is also very pretty.
    Regarding cucumbers, you were able to enjoy them anyway. good !
    I sow mine often from March indoors then plant them in the greenhouse and enjoy them until the end of July. I redo a second sowing directly in the greenhouse at the end of July for a variety of smaller cucumbers (Byblos) and I hope to eat the first fruits soon. Unfortunately the early autumn cold may jeopardize my plans... I'll see 🤞

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your veg look good. Autumn Joy is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done very well with your veg, and cucumbers for two months are well worth having anyway. Autumn Joy is a great plant, but I must try the Chelsea chop treatment on it next year as I'm fed up with them flopping on other plants. It must be one of the best plants for bees don't you think? It's covered in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sedums certainly attract lots of late flying bees and hoverflies. I'm with you regarding the Chelsea Chop.

      Delete
  4. Good idea not to waste those beans. I wasn't sure what to do with mine but freezing them for casseroles is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so quick to cook..I leave them a little aldente, but ready to finish in the final dish.

      Delete
  5. I was going to break down and order an Autumn Joy, but unfortunately (or fortunately really) all my online vendors are sold out. I've ended up pruning things a bit too much, and nearly every time it's been fine. You have a lot of buds on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn Joy is so very easy to propogate, either by division, or just pushing a stem into the soil. I am sure you can find a friend to give you some.

      Delete
  6. I need to rescue my S. Autumn Joy which is currently sitting in a tub against the greenhouse, tied tightly onto a stake. Its border had to be cleared for a revamp, but it’s been tied up too long. Yours looks beautiful.

    You have a good crop of French beans - and that a good idea to part cook then freeze them for the winter. I love casseroles with added beans.

    I had to laugh at your ’trim’ of the artemisia. I do hope it grows back for you, but it was wise to take some cuttings. The dahlia is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find dividing the Sedums every couple of years keeps them in control, and growing them 'hard'. I have a new compost bin in my small garden, and the satisfaction of knowing that I can have some sort of a cycle. Strangely I felt quite satisfied. not sending the material to enrich some garden somewhere else through the council's green bin system.

      Delete
  7. You have had a productive year, Noelle, with your beans and your late fruiting cucumber - and what a good butchery job you have made of the artemisia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow that's quite the haircut on poor powys castle! lovely plant though, hopefully it will respond as you hoped. my runner beans are staging a late recovery after an unproductive summer, finally getting a worthwhile quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That runner bean is certainly earning its keep Noelle. Will you keep it in for another year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They must have been 'magic' beans. Yes, I shall do just as last year: nothing! The new shoots were visible at just about the same time as I would have sown new seed, which I can always fall back on. Alison came to visit, and she left with a few of the seeds from my original packet. She is a little higher up with slightly less favourable weather, but she is going to give them a try next year.

      Delete