Saturday 19 September 2020

Six on Saturday - 19 September 2020

The Prop in whose web we are caught each Saturday, this week has a stunning picture of a seed head in action, as well as a candy pink Dahlia.

(1) I do like silvery plants.  Maybe it is the way I see things.  I find dark things difficult to see inside and in the garden, and whether in daylight, or moonlight, summer or winter, silvery plants do stand out for me. Since I acquired this plant, I have propagated it, and is has been shared too.

Ballota pseudodictamnus

(2) At last week's Rare Plant fair, I had a gardening friend meet up to share conversation, discussion of plants, etc.  So for my second SOS I must say that friends who share my passion are an important part of my joy of gardening, and my life.   I met Alison through another regular meme: In a Vase on Monday, and we made contact when Mr S and I moved here.  I have also made friends through my local gardening club too. You regular SOSs, who post comments are amongst them.  I love that plants can be shared too.  

(3) That same friend and I had visited last year's show together, and amongst the plants Alison bought, I managed to beg a seed head of Scabiosa columbaria subsp. ochroleuca.  It happens to have lovely silvery leaves. From seed sown last September, I have a few plants now growing and am enjoying its lovely small flowers and here is a seed head, from my very own plants. Sorry Prop, no action of seeds being ejected, though I am sure he who dusts and vacuums may have a few words with me during the week!

Scabiosa columbaria subsp. ochroleuca seed head


(4) I guess I ought to list the plants I brought home from this 2020 September  Fair

2 x Cyclamen hederifolium with dark magenta flowers as spotted on  last week on SOSs, an Erigeron Karvinskianus 'Lavender Lady', Alstromeria Indian Summer, Geranium cinereum subcallescens, Asclepias tuberosa, and Fatsia Japonica Spider's Web.  A few if these were on my list...


(5) The one that wasn't on the list is the Fatsia Japonica Spider's Web. The plant I bought was small, and has already been potted on.  


It is destined as a replacement for my Hydrangea Vanille Fraise in the large planter, in the one and only shady corner by the conservatory.  I have had the Hydrangea about ten years, and it has really been enjoyed greatly, but it time for something new.  Something that will look good all year round.  I was talking though my quandary, with Alison, over what to choose as we were walking around.  The Fatsia, tucked down at ground level suddenly provided the answer.

(6) Caterpillar Safari: what is it? Thanks to posting for just a day on the Hardy Plant's Society Facebook page, now remaned The Gardening Bubble and open to everyone, and also Somerset Wildlife, I now believe it to be the caterpillar of the Knot Grass Moth.






25 comments:

  1. I was slightly envious when I read about your trip to the Rare Plants Fair, both as you met a friend and bought plants! One day we will meet and do the same. A lavender fleabane? Sounds wonderful. Hope all is good with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, looking forward to meeting up, some place, some time, and most probably with plants!

      Delete
  2. Your comment re gardening friends strikes a sad note with me. Years back we had a very active gardening club locally with a group of very active gardeners - you know the kind, those who will always have a cutting for you or a piece of this or that, who will call and ask for something which has taken their fancy, who will return from a day out with a plant they knew you were looking for etc etc the general camaraderie of a pastime shared enthusiastically. Nowadays, that garden club has developed into a social club with more interest in the teas and cakes that in the gardens visited on outings; with no active gardeners; no enthusiasm for gardening - the kind of club where the chairperson asked me to "dumb down" my talk to them as it might be above them!!! I was talking about a garden! Oh, how I really and truly miss those gardening friends so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Unknow, is there a chance of another nearby club? Your old club obviously was more of a social club. I yearn to learn from experienced gardeners, or those what have a passion for particular plants, even if I have yet to grow them. Even when I think I know a plant, there are histories, associations with other plants, cultivation notes to be exchanged...which is what makes this weekly meme so interesting. Do you write? As unknown I do not know how to contact you. You could private message me on Facebook.

      Delete
  3. Scabious seedheads are fascinating up close. Slightly prickly too. The caterpillar looks very exotic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pretty caterpillar is from a moth. The scabious seedhead is the sort to be able to stick to one's jumper or socks. How about that for an excuse for seeds that find their way home. Best ask though in gardens which are open to the public!

      Delete
  4. This rare plant fair looks great! I'm envious of you.
    Good luck with the Fatsia 'Spider Web'. I have the classic variety which grows a little higher. I planted it last year and had to water it regularly considering the hot summer we had. I think a little shade will be ideal for yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the classic Fatsia is a plant of beauty too, so exotic looking, and with wonderful flowers. Here in the West Country, there are some wonderful growers, they come and willing give advice and share their knowledge, and it is great to see the plants in the flesh. Another great thing is to watch people and see the wonderful smile on their faces as they carry home their plants.

      Delete
  5. Fatsia Japanica is lovely, and we used to have a large potted fatshedera, which was stunning too. I get a teeny bit too cold for them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another plant I had to look up. I don't know why but they don't appear to be in vogue in this area, but that is the trumpet call, I am sure they will start to talk about farshedera in the gardening press and shows. I'll try to remember that you introduced me to them.

      Delete
  6. I forgot to mention your false dittany! It's a lovely specimen. I have it on my "want" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up false dittany, and realise which plant you were talking about. Then of course I looked up the real dittany, and found that it is origanum dictamnus. After seeing it growing wild in Crete, I managed to find a plant for the garden here. Just crossing my fingers that it manages to survive overwinter. Thanks so much, Lisa, for your comment, I've learnt more about both plants as a result.

      Delete
  7. I've no silvery plants this year.....Will do better in 2021. That caterpillar is stunning,every bit as colourful as most plants. I'm never quite sure whether these exotic colours are to scare predators or to blend into the foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a rather smaller plant of Ballota which is coming along quite nicely but someone who shall remain nameless has shoved a Salvia Hot Lips right in front of it. Do I (a) remove it and hope it goes unnoticed (b) have an accident, I'm a bit clumsy (c) express my displeasure directly? Tregrehan Plant Fair tomorrow, part of the pleasure is the once a year meetings with fellow plant geeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your meet up with friends will spur you on I am sure, and maybe you will be bringing something home, or maybe you have taking plants. As for the Ballota/Salvia debacle, cuttings of both, and joint decision as to the way forward. Maybe a better place for each, and another plant where the two are currently positioned?

      Delete
  9. Ballota is an underestimated plant in my opinion. I have it growing in my garden too and it’s extremely tough. It had been quietly getting on with life for a few years before I realised that it has very interesting flowers! Not the kind that make a splash, but fascinating nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree the whorls and then tiny flowers are an exquisite formation. I often have a few stems in a black vase just on their own.

      Delete
  10. I looked up our plant fair circuit after you talked about going to this - almost all of our local ones had been cancelled and the only current one was at at the w/e we were at my Mum's. It would gave been so exciting to visit one - and you had the bonus of meeting Alison too! Coincidentally, though, I found a nursery online when I was looking for a plant I had seen on GW that was on another circuit, and snapped up a few unusual plants, so that was nearly as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, do tell what you got..I'll check your posts. I find approaching exhibitors is really useful, pleased you did the same.

      Delete
  11. You have some lovely photos of some interesting plants - the ballota, the seed head and the fatsia. I was hoping to meet other keen gardeners when I joined the local gardening club to hopefully meet fellow enthusiasts. I only managed one meeting before Covid arrived, so I didn't find out whether they were tea and cakers or gardening nuts. Thank goodness for Six on Saturday though, someone to share our enthusiasms with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our club has reopened with talks, but no tea and cake any longer, we have many enthusiasts though, and it was full house up to the number permitted. Sadly I could not go as I was still suffering from a muscle strain.

      Delete
  12. love a plant fair, well jell. i think you were most restrained in your purchases. that seed head looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only limited due to the size of the garden. During the last couple of years, since I had started from a clear plot, it was fine, now I have to decide what to ditch to make room for new ones!

      Delete
  13. Oh nothing like a good plant fair and meeting up with gardening friends Noelle. I made a few lifelong long friends when I joined a local gardening club over 30 years ago now. Do the ballota leaves have a velvety soft texture to them or am I think of 'Lamb's Ears'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As with Lamb's ears, the ballota is a 'feel me' plant, soft and velvety leaved plant, which thrives and has not needed any watering during these very dry weeks. Great in full sun where other plants would get scorched.

      Delete