Monday 11 January 2021

In a Vase on Monday - More Fireworks

 Just as people continue to let off fireworks apparently on random evenings during the year, I am following with some even larger fireworks than last week. I don't have a vase large enough, and in any case, these are quite dry and don't require water.

Featuring this week are the seedheads of Allium schubertii.  



 This is the largest of the seed-heads, and is perched alongside my Great-grandmother's 19th Century pancheon, which is 45cm across.  It sits on the bottom rung of our conservatory side table, alongside an old copper stockpot and an arts and crafts salver. 



I had a wonderful harvest of these seed-heads last year, and was able to give several away too.  The remainder spent the summer hanging as chandeliers down from the conservatory ridge.  After the big pre Christmas clean of the room, they found their way on the side of shelves. As Mr S and I each have our different allergies, and some scents and blooms are difficult to bear except for the shortest time, these dried seed heads are a welcome floral decoration.


Linking in with the great goddess of Vases on Monday: Cathy.  She has some of her scented specials this week.  We have gardeners from sunnier climes and at opposite sides of the world so there is always something interesting to see.  Keep safe everyone.

16 comments:

  1. So simple and yet so beautiful, I absolutely love this, Noelle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annette. The bulbs are already up in the garden, they grow all the leaves first, then flower later in the season. It will be interesting to see what the flowers are like this year, or whether they will simply leaf and then grow the flowers next year.

      Delete
  2. These are probably the best of all the allium seedheads for their drama! They look fab in that display on your shelf, and also on the side too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I just didn't know what to use today, and then I thought, I haven't posted about the dried Schubertii seed heads, it is similar to what I am up to in the kitchen. When I am trying to delay going out shopping, and just using what I have, something quite tasty is created.

      Delete
  3. Great Goddess of Vases on Monday?!! My goodness Noelle, I had a good giggle at that, and it is certainly one of the stranger things I have been called!! Your allium heads are wonderful and of course reminded me I specifically kept heads of mine this year for decorative purposes but they are still tucked out of the way upstairs and I had forgotten about them �� How lovely to have your grandmother's pancheon - I have a couple of them but both were purchased. My sisters and I expect we will be fighting over our Mum's vintage potato masher which makes a far better job than any modern masher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it on the potato masher. My last one that worked had a painted handle, peeling a little, and the metal parts were flaking their chrome. After a couple of trials I have found the perfect masher and very comfortable to hold too. I'll try to fit it into a post to show you, but not an IAVOM?

      Delete
  4. Very impressive, Noelle! I wish I had success with the large-flowered allium varieties. Only drumstick alliums seem to like it here. As to your comment about random firework displays, I don't know whether to be comforted or disturbed that that's not just a Southern California thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am no longer keen at all on fireworks for all sorts of reasons. When I was young, the only time people let off fireworks in the UK was on bonfire night, and it was mainly on the small domestic scale. How times have changed.

      Delete
  5. I am not sure I knew Alliums were that big or the seed heads. Spectacular fireworks. I had to look up Pancheon - I see you are a bread baker (I am, too) was the bowl used for bread proofing? I just bought a new oven with a proof setting and the sales people had never heard of such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although the flower heads are spectacular and large, the stems are comparatively short. What sort of bread do you bake Amelia? I also blog about my baking from time to time. New ovens are quite exciting, may you bake many wonderful and tasty breads in it.

      Delete
    2. Yes my grandmother used the pancheon to mix, knead, and prove the dough. From my mother's description, it seems my grand-mother used the technique of quick stretches, and long rises, very popular at present with sourdough. My grand-mother raised 12 children, with something like a 19 years gap between the oldest and youngest, so must have made many loaves in it.

      Delete
  6. The seedhead is amazing Noelle. Love that you have the pancheon with a family history. I was unfamiliar with that term so looked it up--always nice to learn a new word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've written about how I came to get this pancheon several times. https://noellemace.blogspot.com/2011/10/pancheon.html.

      Delete
  7. A fabulous and eye-catching way to display your allium seed heads Noelle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're wonderful and you've kept them in such a pristine condition. I usually manage to bash my saved allium seedheads until they are a shadow of their former selves!!

    ReplyDelete