Saturday 30 January 2021

Six on Saturday 30 January 2021

Time again for Six on Saturday in a week when I could write about six types of weather, but that would be too boring, and your brain may fog over.  Don't despair The Prop will have gathered several of us and no doubt we shall hear from gardeners several hopefully from some who have had better weather.

(1) It was very cold start of the week: cyclamen coum brought a spot of colour as the blooms poked up above the meagre sprinkling of snow. This couldn't help but bring a smile to my face.


The auriculas Nessun Dorma ought to brought under shelter to keep away from the wet?


If these had not been  brought  under shelter as well as all the other small pots, they would have most probably been washed out of their pots: the rain on Thursday night and during Friday was the heaviest I had seen.  We have more of this to come today!

(2) By the middle of the week, the weather became unusually warm.  Windows in the house and the conservatory were opened, and this gardener could not just sit on her hands.  The old tatty gasteria was in imminent danger of being thrown out.  It had worked its way to the back door ready to be thrown out.  Of course it has once been loved, and had been potted in an old hand-thrown terracotta pot,.  

On one of my forays before the times of being able to locate nurseries on the internet, and the era of 'Garden Centres' as we know them today, I came across an old nursery.   It wasn't so neat and tidy, but it grew plants.  It had  stock plants from which it grew seasonal plants to sell.  It seemed that tomato plants and  garden plants like wall flowers, and biennials etc. were their stock in trade.  They were also small market gardeners. You would walk out along rows, and the old gardener would dig you some up and wrap them in newspaper.  I was very young and starting my new garden.  He had fuchsias, succulents and glass house Chrysanthemums too. I got to know the 'old chap' who in the glory days of the nursery was one of the best producers of glass house tomatoes for the area around, and loved to welcome callers.   Behind one of the glasshouses I found a mountain of clay pots piled pell mell.  Many were broken but I could see one or two whole ones.  I asked why they were like that, can only remember that he explained that plastic pots were now what people wanted, and he just used the broken clay to help with drainage along the paths etc. He said it was a shame to see them like that as some were as old as the big old house that had burnt down many years before.  He was only too happy for me to have two or three.  This was one of those: it has been with me ever since then.


Gasteria carinata v.verrucosa

A few of the old leaves were showing signs of fungal disease.  Time for complete destruction and a little post mortem?


The bottom of the pot was full of dead roots.  I learnt this week that this happens to the old roots every few years. After all the bits were separated, I found some healthy shoots and decided to clean up the pot, and start again, with fresh compost mixed half and half with grit. I

This isn't the first time of repotting, but I ought to have done it sooner. I only have a few succulents, and love having them around the house, in different places. I don't have a book on how to really look after them properly, and just check on the internet.
 

(3) As I had the repotting tray out, I mixed some suitable potting medium  and got cracking on potting up some rooted cuttings. Three of  Salvia microphylla 'Cerro Potosi', and three of silver leaved Artemesia Powis Castle, which I had taken as an insurance should my heavily pruned shrub not survive its hard pruning.  All six are being protected in the shred from further rain. It has started to rain, but it was still warm, and a treat to out in the fresh air.  I limited myself to keeping only a few of the cuttings: for myself and to give away. Jon The Propagator used an apt term this week: "one to wear, one to spare, and one for the wash".




(4) My well packed order arrived from Pottertons. The plants may be in their winter phase, but since 'the specials' were in very low supply, leaving it a little later would end in disappointment.



New labels are best written out straight away for : Gypsophilia tenuifolia, Origanum 'Buckland', Salvia cyanescens, Pelargonium endlicherianum, Silene schafta 'Ralph Haywood', and Viola pedata.  I saw the tricolour version at Birmingham Botanical Gardens a few years ago and the whole plant charmed me. If I am successful with this one, ie I can grow it reasonably successfully, I hope to find and grow the tricolor version.


I've been asked what sort of pen I use for the labels: 

The Pen I use is Pen-touch extra fine marker in silver. For the small labels I use the Extra fine size, and for the larger labels the fine one. However I like to write on all sorts of information for instance sowing date, purchase date etc, I use Extra fine. For labels, pens and other items I find The Essentials Company gives great service and good prices.
https://www.theessentialscompany.co.uk/marker-pens/pentouch/

(5)  Galanthus Magnet, from Cathy, (2018)  and Eranthis hyemalis.  When separated and replanted last summer, the snowdrop bulbs were repositioned  it seems too close to the eranthis, or even over the top!  


(6) Crocus sieberi subsp. sublimis Firefly/
Crocus sieberi atticus 'Firefly':  the second crocus variety in flower this year.  Not quite as bright a purple as Tricolour, however the gentler colours look great in the conservatory border.



I hope my gardening friends find something to keep them going and maintain their hopes, but also there are great memories that emerge during quieter times. 




21 comments:

  1. How wonderful the auriculas look under the snow! The ones I grow have been bred on my island in a mountain area and do get snow sprinkled upon them. Perhaps it's what makes them so hardy. And how beautiful the crocuses are. This must be such a boost at the current time, knowing spring is coming and better days are ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob Potterton is a great man for outstanding plants. I have had things from him over the years and have always been delighted with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Paddy, I found another special oregano last year which is doing nicely. I was also delighted when they posted my picture of Bristol Cross.

      Delete
  3. The first crocuses are arriving here too and they should open this weekend if there is a little sunshine ... I do like your black labels which are used for your pots: here we only have some yellow (and in addition they are out of stock. So I have to make some with wooden clothespins ...😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those African (?) wood sculptures must be pretty chilly! It's always satisfying to split and plant new cuttings. Interesting Six-on-Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to know there are others who share my enthusiasm for old clay pots. We have lots of rough hand made pots that have come from various sources over many years. Makes you wonder how old some of them actually are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a nice story about the pot. We must have escaped the really heavy rain Thursday night and Friday, although not today. Those crocus are smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, lovely six this week Sis! I could ramble on about it for ages. I'm a big fan of the old terracotta pots too, your newly renovated plant looks swish. And thanks for the top tip about the plant labels/pen, I love writing labels now! Stay warm x

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOh your post is full of treasures this week. I loved the story of the old nurseryman and can't help thinking we could do with a move back to buying that way to save on all the plastic pots. Nice order from Pottertons. I got their brochure through the post a week or so back so I must take a look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The old terracotta pots are lovely. There was a beautiful one, about a foot high which I found in the garden when we moved in. It was stamped with the manufacturer 'Sankey's, Bulwell'. I recognised the name as a factory I had visited in the 90's to see the injection moulded plastic pots being churned out. Seems a shame that they changed to plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased that you have rescued the old pot. What have you planted in yours?

      Delete
    2. It had some lilies in it last year.

      Delete
    3. That would make a lovely classic combination. I have a couple of reclamation yards within a few miles, so when things are open again, that may be an outing. Getting very bored of not being able to get out.

      Delete
  10. I can never make my mind up about crocuses Noelle as not only do the squirrels and birds like them but they seem to be unable to stand up to bad weather and always take a battering. ''Firefly' is an exception though I think and such a pretty colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a point about crocuses, maybe we have gentler rain here in the South West. I have been putting twigs on my borders. Here we have the dreaded cats too, scratching and depositing foul smelling stuff, but the twigs deter them temporarily.

      Delete
  11. I may be starting to understand the obsession with Snowdrops? Maybe. Love the terracotta pot story and I remember nurseries like that, they are long gone here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting post, Noelle - good to read about all your goings-on and acquisitions AND that snowdrop gifts have settled in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I have lost a couple, but am learning that is the case with the specials. Each season as they increase, I separate the ones that do well, and feed, and soon there will be a nice clump, enough for me to share with others hopefully.

      Delete
  13. I've just come across your site via the Propagator blog...please could you let me know which silver pen you use for your plant labels? I've bought a Sharpie pen but nib not fine enough.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pen I use is Pen-touch extra fine in silver. For the small labels I use the Extra fine size, and for the larger labels the fine one. However I like to write on all sorts of information for instance sowing date, purchase date etc, I use Extra fine. Both labels, pens and other items I find The Essentials Company gives great service and good prices.
      https://www.theessentialscompany.co.uk/marker-pens/pentouch/

      Delete
    2. Thank you sooo much for rapid response, will go to their site later. Your blog is fascinating as well, yet another one to follow��

      Delete