Saturday 25 May 2024

May in the garden - Six things for 'Six on Saturday'

My garden, unlike Jim's who now hosts this weekly trot round the garden to find six things to mention, is not 'visitor' worthy at the moment. The front garden may appeal to plants people or visitors on the close.  Jim is opening his garden this summer, bless him, he is working hard to get it in perfect form.Jim is opening his garden this summer, bless him, he is working hard to get it in perfect form.

1. Close to where we sit and have lunch in the back garden is a tub which has had the same planting for the past three years.  The Nemesia Wisley Vanilla are into their third year and are wafting their scent around in that sheltered corner, under the Corkscrew willow: Salix matsudana 'Tortusa'.


Nemesia Wisley Vanilla into their third year

2.We were sitting at the Blue Table having lunch and there was the smallest of spiders crawling across the table.  It was quite content and stayed there whilst I rushed inside and picked up the phone. It is probably Araniella cucurbitina.

Cucumber Green Orb Spider

I've been doing a major edit in the back garden, and have dug out some things which are either not performing, or just not working in the garden, gone are the two pear trees, and the large Garrya elliptica which has not borne a single tassel over the past years.  

Therefore for the rest will be from the front 'Mediterranean Garden'.

3. The two shrubs of Phlomis fruticosa Bourgaie are the largest shrubs in the area by the window.

Phlomis fruticosa Bourgaie

4. Behind it and rather being overwhelmed at present, are the Tulip sprengeri.  I really ought to move them to the sunnier side of the shrubs.  Just how deep will they have sunk?  Has anyone any experience of digging them up?   There are too many tulips in too tight a clump and in any case they need to be spread out a little.  When the foliage has died down I shall have a go. These too were sown from seed given to me from a friend's garden.


5. Along the south side of the house this 'Mediterranean themed' garden extends along a narrow bed.




Just to the left of this is another shrubby Phlomis which is  a sophisticated pink number: Phlomis pupurea 'Matagallo'. 


With its silver stems and leaves it is probably my favourite Phlomis, though it is a little tall, and I ought to cut it well back to allow the younger shoots to come through for next year, after the flowering is over.  This is another shrub that I grew from seed bought from Chiltern Seeds, though they do not seem to stock this at present.
 
Phlomis pupurea 'Matagallo' amongst grasses and Irises

6. Right up by the front door, should any elephant happen to be passing, it would go straight for this succulent: Portulacaria afra or elephant bush plant.


It feels as if Summer has arrived, a coolish British Summer though. I've had to fast forward through Chelsea on the TV, it seemed to be all about the presenters and just how many do they need?  Gave up in the end, I want to see gardens and plants and not hear about all the messages etc.  Is there an episode or somewhere to view the gardens?




14 comments:

  1. I've been watching the Chelsea coverage and you do have to wade through a lot of waffle to get to the garden content. They were showing one last night for the first time which was put together by Britain in Bloom, yet other ones have been featured countless times. Don't get me started on their obsession with Gold Medals.
    I'm jealous of your Wisley Vanilla. It smells divine. Mine has popped its clogs so I'm on the hunt for a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I may well watch last night's episode, but Mr S will have to be out of the room, he even more than me is fed up with the quality of the coverage and although he likes gardens is no gardener. Do look out for some of the other Nemesias, some of them have a different but still great scent.

      Delete
    2. I've managed to get Nemesia 'Poetry' so I hope that will smell lovely too.

      Delete
  2. Are you sure that spider is small? It looks rather large and a bit ferocious in that photo - a wonderful colour though from what I could tell peering through my fingers. I don't think I've ever seen that variety before. You've reminded me that I must get some Nemesia Wisley Vanilla. I had one that lasted a couple of summers outdoors in a pot. It has such a great fragrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole spider was smaller than my small finger nail, so be brave no need to hide from it. There are quite a lot of different spiders here, and other interesting insects too.

      Delete
  3. Pink Phlomis is rare, I understand that it could be your favourite. This spider must be tiny, but the close-up is successful

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I love that spider with all the insect and arachnid pictures that find their way into my six! So pretty with the iridescent green!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not tried to get that Nemesia to grow for a second year, let alone three. What protection do you give it over winter? And how long do Tulipa sprengeri take to get to flowering size from seed? I have a big potful of this year's seedlings but only one flowering size bulb with one flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did nothing to the Nemesia plants, there are three in this pot, except dead heading them from time to time, and also gave it quite a good chop in late September so it made some good greenery before winter. The plants just there in that corner between the house and the conservatory. I would say the tulip takes five years before the first flower, but these were sown in 2017. From the seedling in the pot, I think they need to be separated out and each little bulb planted about 3-4cm apart in your 'forever' position.

      Delete
  6. Nor is mine ‘visitor worthy’ Noelle. But I’m trying to get it to that stage! :D It’s such a good idea to have perfumed plant close to areas of seating and the Nemesia is doing well to have held the role for 3 years. I think that’s one I need to get. Both phlomis shrubs look lovely - but I do love the pink of pupurea 'Matagallo’. I’ve been watching Chelsea on catchup and fast forwarding through the things I’m not interested in. I’m not inspired by any of the gardens this year at all, none of them appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who lives in Spain who has visited Chelsea this year and uploaded pictures, which have shown more and been more inspiring that anything I have seen on the BBC. There it has been more about the presenters and their views, I hope the gardening magazines I receive will have a clearer coverage.

      Delete
  7. Mmmm - I love the scent of nemesia 'Wisley Vanilla' Noelle and have a pot of it on a table where we sometimes sit for a cuppa. I've recently treated myself to a deep purple nemesia called 'Fleurie Blue'. It's also scented but not as strongly. Your phlomis is most attractive. I can see how the spider acquired it's name. I've seen some of the Chelsea coverage but don't watch with the same rapt attention as I did a few years ago. I loved the Octavia Hill National Trust garden - so much vivid colour 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some lovely new nemesias around and your new one sounds lovely.

      Delete
  8. Your pink Phlomis is rather lovely and it seems I should be growing some Nemesia, how have I managed without it so far!

    ReplyDelete