Saturday 28 September 2024

In my Garden at the end of September - SOS

 Even from a small garden there are six things that caught my attention and which I am willing to share on my frequent Six on Saturday ruminations, which are again shared on Jim's Blog 'Garden Ruminations'. 

1. The week started off with a last hurray from the two courgettes which were thankful from their watering.  I haven't been at all attentive as to the watering and feeding this year, , and until it gets cold I shan't clear these away and will hopefully harvest a few more little baby courgettes. 


2. Dear old Ghislaine de Féligonde has been in need of a large parapluie, however there is still some late season beauty there.

Rose Ghislaine de Féligonde

3. I had just left my pots in my 'potting tray' ready to be stacked away forgotten out of sight down the alley way.  After half a bucket full of rain of Monday, yes I still haven't got round to getting a range guage, this is what I found: 

This won't do the clay pots any good, if they are left in soak like that, the frosts will jut damage them.  Yesterday during our little mini spot of dryish weather meant I toddled round and gave them a brush down, and lay them out to start the the air drying process ready for storage or use.

4.  There is still a little colour in the garden as these couple of views show, but I am still waiting for the Chrysanthemums to flower, I fear the lack of sunshine this year has affected them.



5. I must say thank you to the person who brought a 'six pack' of what my co-worker on the HPS Summer Plant stand believed to be runner beans.  They turned out to be French Beans, and being unlabelled I would not be able to buy similar seed for next year.   From a culinary point of view, the French Beans have been more of an asset compared to runner beans, which I did not grow for the first time this year.  French beans are lovely hot or cold, and many a salad of cooked cold French Beans have been enjoyed.

French Beans seed saving
On Thursday seeing that we would still be having much rain over of the next couple of weeks, I decided to pick these and finish off the drying and ripening in the conservatory, as I fear they may start to go mouldy and rot on the plant.

6. For the last few weeks or so I have been watching some foliage of young plants emerge. They have managed to grow in what is sharp grey builders' gravel just outside of the back door.  Along this narrow fully shaded alley, on top of the low wall, I stood my best potted Cyclamen hederifolium in the heat of the summer.  At the time the seed ripen some of the seed must have been scavenged by the many ants we have, with the seed simply dropped at the foot of the wall.  I shall move the largest of the corms to better sites of course, leaving the rest to develop in their well sited and prepared seed bed until I find them a new space.

Cyclamen hederifolium growing where the ants left the seed

It is getting harder to come up with Six things from the garden, let me see for how long I can keep this up!


 


6 comments:

  1. A dreadful week! Hope you are at least getting some respite today. I much prefer French beans to the runners, a lucky mistake for you. Hope the chrysanths get going before the frosts. Have a good week, Sis x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice beans ! I'm still waiting for some of mine but I didn't expect such bad autumn weather; the sun was more desirable and I don't know if they will ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for jogging my memory Noelle. I've got some empty terracotta pots outside that need putting away for winter. I love the flowers on runners but give me French beans for texture and taste any day. This year's crop though has been abysmal - probably my worst ever and I've been growing them for years. You must be delighted to see those little cyclamen emerging. Too much rain, too little sunshine 😢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right Anna, the lack of sunshine has affected so much in the garden. Even earlier on in the year, we had so many cloudy skies.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I missed this one last week. Your garden still looks lovely in those two views. That's a pity about the Chrysanthemums though - I hope they do flower soon. It's been an odd summer.

    ReplyDelete