Monday 14 October 2024

Garden flowers in a vase on Monday

Even part way through October it is still possible to pick a few blooms for In a Vase on Monday.  This post is going to be the 300th of the series of Monday vases which I have created to link into Cathy's blog where having crafted her first vase many years ago has been gathering fellow gardeners and flower lovers.  Cutting flowers from the garden is a sure way to record what is going on there. 


The flowers were not grown specially for arranging, instead I pick bits and pieces from the garden.  The vase is a studio pottery vase I happened to spot in a charity shop many years ago.
 
The starting point for this vase is the white Chrysanthemum White Gem 21f, which I bought from Halls of Heddon a couple of seasons ago.  


The sedums are looking good and here we have two varieties on the left of the picture is Hylotelephium 'Herbstfreude', better known as Sedum Autumn Joy.  Most of the blooms in the sun have gained a red rusty shade, but this one was shaded, and on the left is the lovely pale pink Sedum 'Frosty Morn'. This is a particularly long flowering sedum.

Both flowers and seed heads of Japanese anemone 'September Charm' are used and below on the right the flowers look a little bashful.

Lastly adding foliage and a little accent is the Fuchsia Tom West, a nice plant at the front of the border and again one I have had for years, 

11 comments:

  1. Such a pretty mix of flowers in a great container. Congratulations on 300! I enjoy seeing your vases each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie, I have my no means posted every week, and I hope that Cathy will be able to let us know just how many weeks of vases she has led us for.

      Delete
  2. The studio pottery vase is l9vely, and really sets off the autumn snippets. This sedum nay well be commonplace but it always packs a punch. The fuchsia and chrysanthemum still hold their own alongside it though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, with a small garden I try to have plants that will work well and sedums like this garden, so much so that this year I shall have to reduce the clump sizes.

      Delete
  3. I adore those white Chrysanthemum and all the bits you cut for this charming vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet of you to comment Donna, and since this Chrysanthemum is said to be hardy I am going to take a chance and leave it in the ground.

      Delete
  4. So sweet and I love the pot. I hope I can keep going to 300! One day I will get used to 'Autumn Joy's' new classification but Autumn Joy seems such a perfect name because it is!
    https://zonethreegardenlife.blog/2024/10/14/in-a-vase-on-thanksgiving-monday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are spot on Jenny, the name was a sure winner when the person chose it.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on 300 IAVOM posts, Noelle! (Now you have me wondering how many I have...) The white Chrysanthemum stole the show in your vase from my perspective but I love the pink anemones too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris, it was quite by coincidence that I noticed as I was posting that I had reached this milestone. I am sure several have posted far more, with Cathy of course being the champion!

      Delete
  6. I do like that white Chrysanthemum Noelle. And your September Charm is still looking pristine. Our anemones were properly finished off by another frost last night. Congratulations on your 300th vase post!

    ReplyDelete