Friday, 14 August 2026

A short Holiday to 'The Peak District and Beyond'

 At the end of July we set out on John Martin's coach holiday to The Peak District & Beyond'.  It is quite a long drive and we have got used to settling down on the coach and getting out our books and phones, and just gazing out of the window, whilst this time Martin, in whose safe hands we were, takes the strain of the motorway driving.

The first picture I took through the coach window was this one: having been used to absolutely no clouds, a few miles north, even though the fields tell the story, it was the clouds that stood out.  I do love good clouds! The farmer cut his field early to get some sort of crop in.


We had two stops on the way up, one being at our favourite Motorway stop at the Gloucestershire Services which has the farm shop.  There we stretched our legs and on our walk and found that although their wild flower area was beyond parched, there were still the wonderful seed heads of the wild carrot.


We stayed at The Cotton Hotel & Spa, which although under Manchester flight path, was excellent.  We only had time on the last day to enjoy their various facilities such as swimming pool, outside jacuzzi, hot room and sauna. Other days, all we felt like was a rest after our outings before dinner.

The first full day saw us being dropped in Bakewell for a few hours.  We partook of the authentic Bakewell pudding. We sat in the little riverside park close to the arched stone bridge.  It was far too sweet for our taste!

Stone Bridge at Bakewell

It was market day, with far too many people for our liking, but we did enjoy exploring and sitting outside The Chakra lounge' with good views and great drinks. Fortunately for me, we managed to get some emergency tablets from the Pharmacist: lesson double check packing of pills, yes they were all prepared but somehow failed to be packed, but also take those prescription receipts which would have made it so much quicker. 

The next visit that day was to Chatsworth House.  I had been there a couple of times, but it was the first visit for Mr S. Again it was a very hot day, with only a few puffy clouds in the sky by the afternoon. They do have some wonderful sculptures and bronzes such as these dogs in the entrance courtyard. Each dog is beautifully sculptured and cast in bronze, all having absolutely correct doggy stances. 

 Nicola Hicks dogs, titled ‘Rocket 6-1, 1987

Further along in the in the Sculpture gallery were two whippets in bronze. I wanted to share this picture with Mandy and she noted that this was so similar to how her Rupert washes Teddy every night. 


The interior rooms were splendid:


It was the smaller things that often drew my attention such as this collection of Crassula ovata 'Gollum' on a fancy marble side table where they had a piece of glass to protect their table. They must move plants to and from their various glasshouses, as I don't think the light there would be sufficient to have them permanently there. 



Here is a similar display with this very  same Crassula ovata 'Gollum' in my very ordinary home!


I suppose one's eye is taken in by familiar things wherever one goes. In the same vein, a few of their fossil, mineral and stone collections as well as  their Blue John Tazza and Urns caught my eye.



Chatsworth House Blue John Tazza and Vases


Chatsworth House- Stone table and fossil and mineral collection

The grounds are extensive and it would be easy to go for some of the spectacular areas such as the large Emperor Fountain in the Canal Pond, but having read about Paxton's first Great Conservatory completed in 1840, I wanted very much  to go and view its foundations. It was quite breathtaking in size and walking around the perimeter gave a sense of its inner dimension, where now there are no remains of the glass, but the area is well planted.  Of course Paxton through his expertise gained here was able to design and build the famous Crystal Palace for the Great Exhibition of of 1851.

To get there we walked through the Rock Garden, which was breathtaking.  The gritstone all mined from the nearby Dobb Edge quarry. The blocks of Gritstone were artfully assembled, and just imagine how it much have taken feats of engineering, and hours of labourt to position the largest rock called The Wellington Rock. 

The Wellington Rock




We heard a great snippet from one of the room guides about how Mr Paxton would go off plant hunting or some such thing with the Duke, and Mrs Paxton being left to 'manage' the building and development of the gardens.  I found something about this on the internet .  Just as I read about Mr & Mrs Disraeli after visiting Hughenden Manor, I am intrigued and will have some good hours reading more about this from Alan Titchmarsh's Chatsworth: The gardens and the people who made them.


Day two saw the first part of the day spent on a Canal Cruise on board the 'Kittywake' along part of the Leeds Liverpool Canal from Wigan Pier. We had a guide giving us a commentary which we found less than interesting, as the speaker was more fond of telling us about her life with covid and her long covid.  I think we may be a bit harsh as everyone else seemed to be entertained.  We then went on to visit RHS Bridgewater.


Wigan Pier and redevelopment of warehouses

It was hot and dry at RHS Bridgewater, and I am sad to say I left it with mixed feelings.  I had such high expectations, maybe it will improve.  Firstly the welcome centre, cafe and gift shop seem to have been the focus rather than the plants and the gardens.  Also when I asked about collecting seeds for members, they knew nothing about this. It used to be that the RHS published seed lists for choice but this year we were to collect prechosen packets from the customer welcome desks.

There were a few interesting plantings, but it could have done with more plant labels.  


I couldn't tell what variety of lilies these were, and found the Community Garden less than inspiring. I suppose it is there as a 'workshop' so we shall pass this by.


Further on Sunflower Lemon Cutie made a great impact.  It was growing in a raised bed, I have since read up about this and it is a new form.

Sunflower Lemon Cutie

I was disappointed that most of the trial beds were just empty flat area of soil, except for those with Heleniums in.  I walked around looking at the forms, height and flowers and thought this Helenium 'Waltraut' was my favourite, though it looks as if it will need some serious staking.

Helenium 'Waltraut'
The dry garden area had some notable planting which I shall try to concentrate on next year in my garden.  Planted through the little yellow flower is Scabiosa columbaria subs. ochroleuca which I recognise having once grown it.  How lucky for me that there were some flattened stems growing over the path.  I have saved some of the seed to grow! Growing nearby too was the Vitex agnus-castus which would grow quite well, and which I have long admired. 

Dry Garden RHS Bridgewater


We walked through to view the Yangzhou - Scholar's garden but that was fenced off with builders on site, and they will certainly have a hard job getting finished in time for the September official opening. Not much there at present would entice me to return, except perhaps in a couple of years or so to see the Scholar's Garden developed and planted.  

Day  Three We had meant to visit first Buxton and then Arley Hall Gardens, but the Gardens were wisely postponed to the following day.

The Ballroom

The first section of our time at Buxton was taken up by a tour of The Buxton Crescent Experience.  Another one for which we had mixed feelings.  We would have prefered to go round at our own pace, rather than with a guide.
  
Derbyshire fossil limestone fireplaces

Everything was well explained on posters, but far too long was spent in each room with our guide, and although we were all meant to finish more or less at the same time, we finished much later.  Maybe it was just our particular guide! Then we were free and how could we not enjoy that after our earlier experience! 

After that we went out and there was a vintage car auction and enjoyed looking around.

Car Auction Buxton

After a walk through the Conservatory, we sat down in No 6 The Square cafe and enjoyed a lunch of filled oatcake. 

We arrived back at the hotel with time to enjoy the spa facilities, and enjoyed our time there before getting ready for dinner.

With it being their own business, Martin was able to reschedule our visit to Arley Hall Gardens for the morning when it was cooler. What a gem! 

Arley Hall Gardens

The Fish Garden at the right hand bottom had a relaxing peel about it, and the planting of Angel's Fishing Rod plants added a sense of humour. Later when we were walking the long border we came across the Viscountess in conversation with a gardener.  Of course we moved on, but having seen a fine plant in the border going to seed, I returned and asked him if I may have some.  He asked me if I had anything to use to hold the seed, and finally we decided that the folded up map of the gardens would do.  He snipped off some stems for me.  All the while we were talking plants and it was let slip that when herbaceous plants that had proved themselves and needed dividing, they went over to be divided and sold in their Plant Nursery.  I think the plant was Salvia verticillata 'Purple Rain' but didn't ask, so if the plant come up, it will be then that I will be able to identify it.

We hadn't noticed those as the coach was able to drive right up to the entrance of the Hall along the pleached lime avenue. 

I would have liked longer in the gardens and the nursery but we had a coach to catch.  Again there interesting conversations and exchanges were to be had.  I admired their Pelargonium collection and complimented them.  It was interesting to hear that the new peat less composts were not working at all with regards to the Pelargoniums, and I would have liked to have spent more time learning about what they used.  As well as the seeds given to me, I have two other souvenirs: plants of course Viola 'Heartthrob and Helenium 'Short and Sassy', which stands strong without the need of staking! 

Our journey back was uneventful, and my friend Maggie had seen to the watering in our absence.  Overall a lovely break.


 





No comments:

Post a Comment