Today is another very hot day, and we haven't had rain for weeks and weeks. The range of flowers is minimal as plants dry to a crips, but I have been watering a few, and others seem to have been quite resilient. I am joining with Cathy who came to start this weekly Monday get together on her blog, a fair number of years ago.
This week's arrangement is in the Caithness vase and by its side is the little crystal watering can which I have used many times before. It signifies that watering is needed to keep the flowers alive. The little trio of seed head rounds are from seeds I purloined during my holiday from a plant with very red stems which I believe are from Lunaria annua 'Chedglow'.
The cosmos were a mixed bag of seed, and there are several forms including this sea shell form.
The achillea Lilac Beauty is somewhat bleached, but still goes nicely with the other colours. The regular IAVOM gang know that I like seed heads, and looking rather elegant are the seed heads of Betonica officinalis 'Alba', and Teucrium hiranicum. In the background but not easily seen is a leaf from Japanese aralia 'Tsumugi-shibori' or Fatsia japonica 'Spider's Web'
There is much about her life here, and interesting from a socio historic point of view.




Oh that's most cool elegant vaseful of flowers Noelle. The ammi has a most graceful airy flower and the achillea and cosmos make for sympathetic companions. I'm struggling though to see lunaria 'Chedglow' seed heads in your mix 🤔 I've treated myself to 'Hortobiography' as a Christmas present the year before last I think. I enjoyed it but would have liked more photos. Carol has certainly had a most interesting life. I've also enjoyed her gardening books especially 'Life In A Cottage Garden' and 'Grow Your Own Garden'.
ReplyDeleteSorry Anna, I didn't make it clear, the side of the seed capsules are on the mantle shelf next to the arrangement. I'll look out for those books at the library, when I return my copy of the Hortobiography tomorrow.
DeleteWhat an interesting mix, Noelle, especially the seedheads - it took me a little while to see the honesty though!! Must admit to not being enamoured by those cosmos! I used to be ambivalent about CK , but in recent years have realised what a fount of knowledge she is, and I can overlook her mannerisms now
ReplyDeleteWell done you on noticing the seedheads which are not in the vase. I like the cosmos as they have survived, and in the garden give some height without obscuring the view. Are there any cosmos that you do like? Or do you dislike them in general?
DeleteLovely, lacy and feminine-pink arrangement, Noelle, like a negligee! So pretty! Is this drought a historic one or does it happen infrequently there? I always think of the UK as getting loads of rain. Weeks without rain for a gardener (anywhere) is a nightmare! Hope you get rain soon. 🤞🏼 Eliza
ReplyDeleteThanks Eliza: there are some quite dry areas in the east of the country, but 'Soggy Somerset' is not living up to its name. July has been the driest one in nearly 200 years!
DeleteI admire the mix of soft pinks, Noelle. They "cool down" what sounds like a very hot stretch of days. We're going through one now ourselves but then I suspect that's a more of a common occurrence for us than it is for you. We're lucky to still be able to irrigate twice a week but that's not enough to keep everything alive at this time of year - I baby only the dahlias and our water bills are still awful.
ReplyDeleteWe don't have air conditioning, but we are starting to get used to the higher temperatures, finding quiet things to do indoors during the hottest part of the day. Hope we all get back to normal soon.
DeleteThat is such a lovely vase. I do love the seedbeds. The green as a back drop for the pinks.
ReplyDeleteThank you Donna, and very often when all the flowers have eventually finished, I keep the seedheads as the forms are pleasing.
DeleteNoelle, Your vase looks fresh and nicely balanced. Hope your weather improves soon. We were dry for weeks also and when rain did finally come it felt like such a relief. I am intrigued with your shell form cosmos. Very pretty.
ReplyDeleteThank you Susie, there are so many forms of cosmos, so I hope to grow some more next year. So pleased you have had rain, we now have some forecast for Tuesday evening: I am hoping we have some.
Delete