Tuesday 18 August 2015

Hydrangea Vanille Fraise and other garden plants mid August

 Down towards the end of the garden, I have a large tall pot, in which I planted this hygrangea about four years ago.  Each spring I cut it back to about 20cm, then up come these long stems with lovely white flowers.  Once they open, they gradually change colour with both white and pink on the same plant.  When Cathy and the golfer visited I could not clearly remember which one this was.  At the weekend, I was going through my seed box, and in the bottom I came across the original plant label.  This is Hydrangea Vanille Fraise.  It stands up well to rain, and I have also dried heads before too, for a winter posy.



The Astilbe Chinensis Pumila is really doing well, and all three patches are ready to be 'downsized' this autumn.  These perform well in sun and part shade, and except when first planted, they are not watered.



The Centaurea have bounced back after their cut back and providing plenty of pollen for the bumbles bees



and even Rosa Open Arms does the same


Newly planted this year, in the area where the Victoria Plum tree used to grow,  is Rudbekia fulgida sullivantii 'Goldstrum' .  It contrasts with the Aster frikartii 'Monch',  also new this year.  


2 comments:

  1. A most attractive hydrangea and what a lovely photo of the bee on the white centaurea. I can almost hear him buzz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My everyday camera was starting to get me down, so I got out the big one for these. I realised that it was time to change my everyday camera, so will post some better shots than those of the past few weeks.

      Delete