Saturday 15 July 2023

Getting a flat top on my cake

 Probably most bakers know what to do, but it has taken me till I am past my prime to realise that out there on the internet there could be an answer.  Yes my large cakes have always had a bulge which through the oven window you can see start to peak after the edges have set and also perhaps even a crack on the top through which softer unbaked cakes emerges as if the cake is having internal problems which can only resolve itself in some herniation.  

I understand all the reasons now, and before maybe buying a purpose made item decided to see whether this would be a 'cure'.  Well a cure to the problem, is taking a slice off the cake, but I wanted to get at the root causes and avoid the problem altogether.


It has worked with a old tea towel cut to size and soaked in water, and lots of fiddling with needles and thread and some wet string tied around to hold it in place. Hurrah! I may well get a nice purpose make external collar which will mean loads of my favourite cakes baked once more.  

Thinking over what Mandy added below, I went and looked at this interesting article with opinions of some top bakers, and I shall try plain flour with added raising agent rather than carrying self raising versions. 

2 comments:

  1. Your cake looks extremely flat Noelle, well done to you. Very professional. We were just taught at school to make a shallow dip in the centre to accommodate the rise and before that a sharp rap of the pan on the counter a couple of times to remove the air bubbles. And then if an extremely flat top was required for a wedding cake for example was to turn it over. Obviously you wouldn’t be able to do that with your lovely almonds on top. Ooh you’ve made me want to cook a fruit cake, lol. Maybe next week, James’s early birthday bash on Monday, so there will be plenty of leftovers. Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy Yes, I used to do that for the Christmas cakes, an excuse to tuck all the spare marzipan under the outer edges! but I read that the currant raising agents are much slower than they used to be. I even get that with a deep chocolate and coconut cake, so will be interested to see how this improves things. Just read this interesting article...I may change and only carry plain flour and give that a try, put a link to it in my post.

      Delete