Monday 4 March 2024

In a Vase on Monday - Continuing the Mustard Theme

 A couple of weeks ago, I started to play a sort of 'domino' game via the In a Vase on Monday, with Cathy and this week, I am following on the Mustard Theme. I especially love condiments whether it is a fresh fruity sauce such as cranberry sauce, a chutney, salt and freshly ground pepper of course, or mustard. 


The middle of the stone table where we enjoy eating many of our meals hold a slate Lazy Susan, and on this stands today's vase, together with Salt and Pepper Grinders and a pot of ready made English Mustard.

Over on the back garden wall the Corydalis cheilanthifolia is slowly migrating upwards, most probably by ants moving the seed into crevices. As we sat eating lunch yesterday the sun caught the flowers, and being a pale mustard colour, suddenly the recent theme of Cathy's post and these flowers inspired me to include them in today's arrangement.

I've included some of the Corydalis's fern life leaves, a couple of leaves of the early flowering Geranium malviflorum, with a stem of a dark red polyanthus.

Yes, we have some powdered Colman's mustard which is essential in some cooked sauces and chutneys and pickles, but in recent years, I enjoyed a pot of ready made English Mustard in the fridge which is so easy to use for adding to sandwiches, rather than making up some fresh and ending up throwing the greater part which became dried up in the bottom on the small mustard pot.  I had found Colman's ready made English Mustard using 21% mustard a little bland compared with my home made version, and since it also contains flour which would not be usable by a couple of friends who are coeliac, I went back to mixing my own from mustard powder .  Once when we were eating out in Wiltshire, on the table of the restaurant was a jar of Tracklements English Mustard, and that certainly cuts the mustard: 39% mustard and no flour! 

Did any of your mothers used to admonish people who left mustard on the side of the plate?  I had thought that my mother saying "The Colman's got rich on the mustard people left on the side of their plate" quite amusing.  In the age of the internet I made an enquiry about this and spent some time yesterday reading a very interesting article about how the Colemans set up business near Norwich and the development of the company to this day., and an updated version.

This week, Cathy who hosts anyone who would like to join in, rules on her blog, has an intriguing Title Measure for Measure, which I shall try to follow on with next week. 

16 comments:

  1. How amazing what ants can do. Perfect flower for the mustard theme. My husband's favorite condiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to comment on your post this week Donna, may I say I was amazed by how much snow you have had, and in the absence of flowers from your garden, the Alstromeria is brightening up your home nicely.

      Delete
  2. That's a pretty corydalis Noelle and it goes so well with the deep red polyanthus. I disliked mustard with a vengeance as a child but developed a taste for it as an adult. I prefer a wholegrain French mustard but will have to sample the Tracklements product you feature. I must confess to being seriously addicted to Tracklements caramelised onion marmalade 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracklements also make a very good whole grain mustard which I love to mix in with mashed potatoes as a topping for cooked meats underneath. I tend to make all my own relishes and once made an excellent red onion and beetroot one, and you have inspired the next 'preserve', Thanks.

      Delete
  3. That's fascinating to hear about the percentage of mustard powder in ready made mustards, Noelle, and about the flour content - not something I had thought of before. They used to have a Colman's museum in Norwich which I visited many years ago. I had forgotten there was a yellow corydalis variety, and you have picked up the colour of mustard and the centres of the polyanthus beautifully with it. Love the foliage too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed that Museum when we visited Norwich many years ago, and I was very interested to read through the article. The foliage of this corydalis is good all year round here.

      Delete
  4. A good mustard is not a luxury, but a necessity! :)
    A lovely bouquet, Noelle, I like the dark pink contrast. I have that corydalis, too, it has become a bit of a menace self-sowing everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite easy to weed out I can imagine. I was very happy when the one in the wall germinated, as the one on the ground had died. I expect in conditions different to my garden, where at most I would get one plant a year, it could be quite prolific.

      Delete
  5. Your mustard-yellow Corydalis combines beautifully with the burgundy primrose flower, Noelle. I can vividly remember a can of Colman's mustard in a kitchen cabinet at my childhood home, although I can't recall it even being used as the jarred variety was always on hand ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the yellow of the corydalis is echoed in the centre of the primula, which I think makes them the ideal duo. I do like the cans, the shape and colour are iconic. Convenience trumps 'ingredients' in your case. I like to sprinkle some dried mustard with flour to cover meat before I use it for a casserole.

      Delete
  6. I love mustard but I have a feeling I don't really know mustard, Noelle. The red flowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even love the colour, and have quite a few items of that colour in my wardrobe. Different countries have different traditions, cuisines and mustards, but I can say the newer palates have probably veered towards chilis compared to previous generations in the UK.

      Delete
  7. The colour of the Corydalis is so perfect for the theme, along with the primula centre. I'm also admiring the delicacy of the Corydalis foliage, which I'm not really familiar with, other than by name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, it is not that often seen in gardens here either. At one time I had a thing for Corydalis and am delighted that this one has done well.

      Delete
  8. The vase is lovely, but I did get sidetracked by the mustard stories and yes, I am sure my Mother used to say something similar about the mustard left on the side of the plate! You have also reminded me how it was my job as a child to mix the mustard! The yellow Corydalis is gorgeous and the perfect colour for spring - and mustard. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, also I can just imagine that you were proud to have that responsibility of mixing the mustard.

      Delete