Saturday 16 March 2024

Six on Saturday

The days are whizzing by and we have longer days here in the UK.  Time to link into Jim's Garden Ruminations to share six from the garden.

1. This week's instant gratification: Hyacinth Yellowstone.  It is ages since I planted hyacinths in any garden.  We stopped at B & Q to buy some new kitchen cupboard shelves, there were none in stock, and I took consolation in these.  The colour is is soft yellow very similar to wild primroses and they work nicely in the the sort of gloomy weather we have been having this week.

2. I despair: this is just one of the examples of the devastation by slugs this spring. Would the RHS have us only grow plants that slugs and snails don't touch?

Slug nibbled narcissi

From a headline in yesterday paper:  ‘It’s patronising to say that all slugs are friends – the RHS treats gardeners as nincompoops’...A new campaign by the RHS and the Wildlife Trusts is encouraging us to appreciate the garden pests – but not all horticulturists are keen.

3. For several years I had admired a yellow rambling rose along a friend's fence, and last year I had permission to take some cuttings.  I have three good rooted cuttings, and this week at the same time as planting out the hyacinths, these were planted  all along the south facing fence.  Let us hope it won't be too many years before they are flowering. Hopefully someone will be able to identify it once they are in flower, and in my dreams the fence is festooned with roses.


4. A new Rhubarb addition to the garden just could not wait any longer to be planted. Again another plant for which harvest will only be possible in a year or two: Rhubarb Timperley Early


5. Another pest has started on its spring attack both on the acer and for some reason on this Chrysanthemum Chatsworth.  By coincidence I read this week, that chrysanthemums should be stopped, but whether this applies to this variety I am unsure, maybe the squirrel has taken over garden duties? It is the second time in just a few weeks.


6. I am delighted that the division of Primula 'Blue Horizon' has paid off, of course it may be that wet winters suit it.

Not so much 'instant gratification' but planned ones await me at the Rare Plant Fair at the Bishop's Palace this coming Sunday, as I have put in 'pre-orders' from two growers! 

At Christmas one of our SOS members showed Christmas baubles on the gardening theme, just as shout out for my thoughtful son, here is the fun plant themed Mother's Day: I am in his eyes a 'Plantastic Mum'.  Of course on a art wireworkshop my efforts moved to plants....





13 comments:

  1. Lovely hyacinths and that primula 'Blue Horizon' is a great colour. When I did my RHS course (2021/2023) slugs and snails were still classed as pests by them. My wife was telling me they had some expert on the radio reassuring listeners that only a small percentage of snails or slugs actually eat flowers and whatnot. It seems that small percentage must all live in our gardens, as like you, the narcissi blooms are being shredded this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The winter just wasn't cold enough, so thing that normally would have been killed off have survived and even multiplied. The balance of things is disturbed. On a cheerier note, Sis, the primula is an absolute stunner and I am so jealous about the Bishop's Palace, one day ..... Have fun x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing only plants that slugs don't touch would mean no food for slugs so presumably far fewer of them. I'm not sure who is the slugs friend in all of this nonsense. Photosynthesis fuels the entire ecosystem, anything that tips the balance in favour of plants is good, ultimately for both the plants and the animals. I'll keep on killing the buggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it only shows I haven't been out there enough clearing the blighters away!

      Delete
  4. I've got a few plant bargains form B&Q in the past, it's not always the first place to think of for plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a supporter of the RHS but not in this instance, I haven't even bothered to read any of the rubbish they're spouting. The only advantage of slugs in my opinion is food for hedgehogs and frogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do like the sound of a soft yellow hyacinth Noelle. Slugs and snails will certainly be relishing the mild and extremely wet winter we've had! Enjoy the plant sale tomorrow - I wonder if you will come back with other plants other than the ones you have pre-ordered 🤔😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, yellow hyacinths are rare, I haven't seen them often. Slugs and snails don't do much good except annoy us gardeners. They multiply so quickly that you have to live with them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The yellow hyacinths are a treat! The perfect colour for gloomy days.
    There are times when large organisations forget that ordinary gardeners often have small gardens that they work so hard to make beautiful. They/we don’t have acres of land where a few slimy predators can be allowed to graze on whatever plants they like. If they would like to send me a box, I’ll happily send them as many slugs and snails as I can find and they can provide them with food. End of rant.
    Your rose cuttings look healthy and you’ll have those lovely yellow roses in a few short years! I’ve had Rhubarb Timperley Early for many years. It’s great and you’ll love it when the time comes to harvest it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed your rant, I love that you thought of boxing them all up and taking them to an RHS garden! However I would hate any to escape and trail round the car.

      Delete
  9. Oh wonderful: Good luck with the plantings! It will be interesting to see how the Roses settle in and perform. Almost time for Rhubarb pie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why are they saying "chrysanthemums should be stopped", Noelle? I think they are lovely plants - it's the snails that need stopping as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind seeing the odd one or two in the flower beds but I always move them along. It's when they get into my leafy greens that I am very upset with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a term describing pinching out the growing tip early on to encourage side shoots, which then go on to give good flowers. Otherwise I understand the single stem just leads to single flower on these multiflowered varieties.

      Delete