Saturday 29 June 2024

In the Garden -The End of June 2024 - 'Six on Saturday link up'

The garden, sometimes demanding attention as it goes through its annual cycle, or even longer cycles means that readjustment is necessary, for both my sake and its sake. As one looks at the garden decisions about the future need to be made: choices made on how the garden is to evolve with plants removed, or moved, and which plants to add to make gardening just that little easier in the future. A garden gives but also requires attention and time, a balance needs to be maintained,. In the meantime Six on Saturday where we go out and really look at the garden and choose six things to share helps to make me look and appreciate, or even sometimes seek consolation from fellow gardeners and readers of this blog.  What I particularly like is looking back on similar posts from previous years to see how the garden is changing.  All of this is aided by my fellow SOSs, and Jim who is our current leader, and to whose post we all link on Saturdays.

Here are my six for this week:

1. Looking totally healthy at the present are the Rose Home Florist collection of which Timeless Pink is in the spotlight this week.

Rose Home Florist Timeless Pink close up

attracting to herself in the bed a few supporting perennials. This combination is working nicely giving me an idea of what to write about next week.


2.  Ever since I acquired one Rhodohypoxis (unnamed),  just a small group of two or three tufts in a pot from a friend a few years ago, and carried it over through the winter in the shed, I gradually came to appreciate this group of plants.  Of the original that increased I placed a small group in the gravel garden and am delighted to report that it survived last winter which was the wettest I had experienced here. This pot of Rhdohypoxis 'Pinto' is currently gracing our lunch table. I pull out the dead flowers as they wane and this is about the fifth week in flower, so certainly it is a good doer for me.  



Rhodohypoxis 'Pintado'

When I went to the HPS plant fair at Batcombe House a couple of weeks ago I took two nicely flowering pots of my original unnamed rhodohypoxis which were quickly snaffled up by a couple of our members who were also helping out.  And pre-orders were placed by other members putting under a little pressure to divide and share, but patience is of the essence and they will need to wait till next year for flowering plants.

3. It is far too long since I grew sweat peas. Last Christmas I was totally surprised to receive a packet of seeds along with a Christmas Card.  What a lovely thing to include between friends.  I also saw and smelt some growing as I walked under an arch at Caisson Gardens last week, and I can confirm that I am now smitten once again. The willow obelisk which I made earlier this year is the perfect frame for them to grow up.


Sweet Pea Mrs Bernard Jones

4. I do admire topiary and have always thought how nice to be able to have a little one but they are understandably pricy to purchase.  Over the last few months I attacked the rounded bush of Golden Lonicera that was growing by the bird bath and it is now down to five pompoms.  I'm not sure it is in quite in the right place now, and may well try to move it in the autumn should a better place  become obvious.



Golden Lonicera with stems exposed


5. Fuchsias seem to be early this year, at least this one is as it was left unpruned.  This nameless hardy variety has been in flower now for a couple of months. It is overshadowing a few plants, I shall have to see if they have survived and to consider some strategies going forward.


6. Self sown and looking statuesque, I have a harvest of poopy seeds to look forward to for my small but ever so tasty Poppy Seed and Rye Bread.
 


As I walk round the garden I love to look into their middles and enjoy their beauty. 


After all that rain, it is now back to saving water from the house as the water butt is quickly being depleted as a result of watering all the pots.  I am looking forward to reading other contributions to this weekly post on matters gardening. 





11 comments:

  1. I also presented a rhodohypoxis 2 weeks ago, I think ; in a different colour, but clearly less flowery than yours! Yours is gorgeous.
    The mix with the Golden Lonicera, the bird bath, and the geranium in the background is really very successful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fred, I love the little rhodohypoxis and had to fight with myself not to buy more varieties yesterday!

      Delete
  2. Snap with the house water saving... and the sweet peas - I can smell them as I type thanks to a second bunch picked earlier today. The fuchsia looks a show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I shall be picking a few today ready for my vase on Monday tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Glad to read that you've been bitten by the sweet pea bug again Noelle. They are the very essence of summer and the perfect adornment for your homemade obelisk. The first few sweet pea flowers on my wigwam have opened here during the last week 😂 How do you find your 'Timeless Pink' rose for cutting? I'm considering getting the purple sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also saw some lovely ones at Caisson Gardens recently though I did not photograph them. All the roses in the series are superb and the rose neck never bows over.

      Delete
  4. After thinking that the rain would never end, the water butts are running low here too. It's been an odd growing season, and your lovely poppy has reminded me that we haven't had a single one here this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree if has been a very strange year, hopefully the coming cooler weather will help with water loss.

      Delete
  5. Ohh, your ‘Timeless Pink’ is a lovely rose - and what beautiful dark, glossy leaves! It’s nice to see your Sweet Pea Christmas gift growing so well in the garden. The poppies are lovely too, none of my annual varieties have come back this year, I’ll have to try sowing some seed in autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love poppies! wonderful to see yours and the sweet peas as well. I have brought my lone fuchsia in after nearly killing it outside in the heat. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, sweet peas. Mine bloomed, a small amount, a victory for me here in NJ. I never seem to get them to the blooming stage. I love the pink you grew. All of your flowers are very lovely.

    ReplyDelete