Sunday 5 May 2024

Poppy Seed and Rye Bread

 Late yesterday evening, these three beauties came out of the oven.  I was inspired to try these when I read a post by another member of Bake with Jack Home Baker's Club, who had posted on the forum about trying these loaves again.  I haven't yet tried all the special recipes that Jack had videoed, and as a relatively new member of the club, one is able to access all the breads since this club and forum was launched.  



I didn't have shop bought poppy seeds, but I did have a large bowl of the seed heads from last year's poppies in a bowl on the sideboard and these were emptied.  The seeds are a little finer that the commercially available seeds, but fine.  In the absence of J Cloths for the dampening of the bread prior to rolling them in more poppy seeds, I dampened a piece of muslin and this did the trick beautifully.  The smell is divine, and two are in the freezer and we shall be tasting the other at our tapas style lunch today.  Mr S is going in for his '252'  at his archery club this morning!  

2 comments:

  1. I was pleased to see a post about bread as I have a question. I think I remember once read a post where you said you had discovered the best 'glue' for sticking seeds to a loaf of bread but you didn't say what that glue was. I regularly make bread but have never been able to get seeds to stick and wondered if you would be so kind as to share your 'glue' with me. Jane a regular reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane, yes and I am so pleased that you have reminded me of this. It is called Skilly Wash and I learnt about it in Clive Mellum's book: My life in Baking. I have searched the internet and there are some notes with quantities about this there. Next time I use it I will put a note about this. It also makes for a very good finish on loaves, even when there is nothing to stick on the surface.

      Delete