Monday 30 September 2019

In a Vase on Monday - Gleanings

At this time of year I find myself tidying up the garden, and making the most of gleanings.  Annuals are being cleared in advance of heavy rains.  Being outside, even if gardening in the drizzle, the different quality light makes different colours sing......

Gleanings:  pot marigold and cornflowers.  Cornflowers are a native and once grew in corn fields in England, and although not a field marigold, I can imagine people may have put a bunch of gleaned flowers in a pot  for centuries.  I've saved seed from the cornflowers to grow again next year.



Tomatoes red and yellow from the garden are gradually being eaten up with late salads which include nasturtium leaves and flowers, and petals from the cornflowers and dianthus.

Cathy has riches in comparison...pop and see what she is showcasing this week.

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the glimpse out the window into your lovely garden!:) I'm going to have to grow Cornflowers again next year. I would love to see them growing wild in a corn field, but I suppose the farmers wouldn't...

    "Bluebottle, thee my numbers fain would raise,
    And thy complexion challenges my praise;
    Thy countenance, like Summer-skies, is fair
    But, ah! how diff'rent thy vile manners are :
    Ceres for this excludes thee from my song,
    And swains, to gods and me a sacred throng :
    A treach'rous guest, destruction thou dost bring
    To th' hospitable field where thou dost spring :
    Thou blunt'st the very reaper's sickle, and so
    In life and death becom'st the farmer's foe."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely Poem...we went to visit family on Sunday, and there were still many wild flowers in bloom. As we drove past Pertwood Farm: https://www.pertwood.co.uk/, we could see colour in strips along field edges.

      Delete
  2. Simple and pretty. I'm sure people have enjoyed similar flowers as you say. They are precious, being so late. Delicious looking tomatoes. Hope you had a good day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we had a great day out, and V loved the bouquet I had ordered from you.

      Delete
  3. What beautiful bright colors Nicole! I love the intensity, especially at this time of year when everything else is waning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, the changes in the way light renders color as the seasons change amaze me, too. Love the color combination,you made me remember the seeds I have for Batchelor's Buttons and tomatoes, time to start gardening here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cornflowers have such a rich color and look great with the marigolds. The tomatoes look tasty. I haven't had enough tomatoes this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your gleanings are glorious, Noelle. I love that deep saturated blue and recently picked up packets of cornflower seeds to try. My own calendulas have petered out for the season but, as the temperatures here are cooling, it's about time to seed some more.

    ReplyDelete