Monday 9 September 2019

In a Vase on Monday In the Garden and Kitchen

Early September and wonderful weather: dry and sunny we are taking full advantage and spending as much time as possible in the garden.  After our visit together, yesterday, to the Bishop's Palace Rare Plant Fair, Alison, met through IAVOM, came back here for coffee and cake in the garden.

On the garden table was a  little arrangement:  seed heads from the agapanthus, purple Euphorbia dulcis 'Chameleon', and calendula, grown from little plants from Jean.



The front garden is now prepared and ready for planting...as I scour the back garden for those plants that I had earmarked for being moved to the front, trimming them to make bushier, and inadvertently knocking brittle stems of Rosemary, I end up with a little 'cook's or Kitchen arrangement..a little posy of herbs I could use in the kitchen: Purple lavender, Sage tricolor cream edged with purple splashes, and rosemary.  The heart shaped tin contains my heart shaped biscuit cutters.....


Today a little rain is forecast. I hope there is sufficient or I shall have to go out watering again this evening after coming back from watching Five Seasons The Gardens of Piet Oudolf with a couple of gardening friends.

Cathy has posted daisies today and is the hub of all things in a vase this weeks, as every week......

13 comments:

  1. Lovely vase of herbs, What a brilliant idea. And I love that view of your back yard. It is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy...I have already used some of the Rosemary and Sage since making it, and also added some mint flowers.

      Delete
  2. Lovely Calendula - perfect early autumn colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris...there is something about the lower autumn sun takes makes these colours glow.

      Delete
  3. We've had plenty of rain, did you? It's meant that my plans for rearranging have not started yet but the rest of the week looks better. Calendula are one of my favourite flowers, it's impossible to have a favourite of course but they are up there. They look really good with the dark leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alison, just in time. I think we were so busy chatting and then enjoying the cake that you may not have noticed the arrangement right in the middle of the table, the blue tablecloth contrasted nicely too.

      Delete
    2. Of course I noticed it! It was good cake. x

      Delete
  4. How well the three shades work together, Noelle - and how pretty your kitchen vase is too. I am changing my herb planter so I have several pots of very sorry looking herbs at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Herbs need a little attention from time to time, but they smell so nice, it is a lovely job to do.

      Delete
  5. A great idea to have some herbs at hand in the kitchen, and the view out your kitchen window looks pretty idyllic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and it is the bird song too, though they have started their autumn calls which is different to their spring tunes. We don't have any traffic noise either, which makes the garden a tranquil spot.

      Delete
  6. I adore Calendulas and yours contrast beautifully with the Euphorbia leaves. I've been eyeing a couple of culinary sages for one bed in my back garden that currently looks very sad and your little herb arrangement just nudged me a little further along with that plan. I used to grow herbs in what's now my cutting garden so it's only right that I find another space for them. It's too early to do much planting here, though - we often get heat blasts well into October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On, its exciting when planning new planting areas...I am sure you will find just the right ones, for for scent, and flavour.

      Delete