Monday 2 September 2019

In a Vase on Monday - September Posy

So it is September....I feel that the year is slipping away,  the summer months have flown by.  There are still a few plants showing their best but here and there seed heads are testimony to this time of year when plants are preparing for another year to come.


Love in the Mist seed heads are turning purple.  These were white Nigellas, and thinking about this in the garden, my eye was drawn to the lovely white Dahlia Gallery Art Fair, and this led to the others for the vase: the stripy Gardeners' Gaiters Phalaris arundinacea, Fuchsia Hawkshead with its fine white flowers and green tipped buds, Salvia Amistad,  with more purple in Verbena rigida to bring out the purple in the seed pods.  I have often used the spent seed heads on Verbena .  As the Lamium is flourishing with quite a good show of flowers, a bit of that too...and then a bit of yellow to have some contrast: golden rod.

The only thing I just could not get the picture right...but you get the idea.



As for books just completed....


On the topic of mental health and serious problem parents....not one to read if you are feeling delicate.  However interesting topic and style.

Then as a good counterbalance I have just finished.  Finding towards the end the editing was a little rushed...but a great yarn. Maybe I just read too fast towards the end.... As usual I had to have my little piece of paper with the names of characters and their relationship to each other.  This one was recommended to me by Anna I think, and thanks and apologies if I had the wrong person!  Yes well worth reading....



8 comments:

  1. Love this! Those Love in the Mist seed heads are great and I like how you used white among the darker colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie...the Love in the Mist seed heads dry well too...an all round good annual for sure.

      Delete
  2. Your vase is lovely with such a nice variety of complimentary colors. I pulled all my nigellas out when they finished flowering because they looked so ratty, but I can see I should have saved some of them at least. I didn't know they turned that lovely color with time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Nigellas are sufficiently scattered throughout the garden, but I must admit to having removed all The African Queen Nigellas as the plant was a bit too 'high and mighty' and out shadowing other nicer things. Different Nigellas has different types of seed heads, which makes one want to grow different types.

      Delete
  3. The nigella seedheads are gorgeous and I like how you have related the other purples to them, This is the first time I have had nigella seed heads (well, I must have had some hidden ones for them to begin popping up here and there)- at what stage would you pick them to keep? Interesting what you say about the African Queen ones. The grass is a good addition. Interesting to see what you are reading and I agree that it is disappointing if a book tails off to the end - Tatooist of Auschwitz certainly did, as if there was a deadline to meet and it was a great shame as it had been fairly gripping for most of the book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would pick the seedpods for display when they are firm and the seeds rattle..before they start to be bleached by the sun. Also before they get the autumn rains. If for sowing as soon as the seeds are black. Will be emailing you about the frilly pinks.

      Delete
  4. You have me wishing that I'd held on to my Nigella just for their seedheads but I cleared them from my cutting garden months ago to usurp the space for summer bloomers. I looked for 'Hawkshead' flowers in my garden just this weekend and, although there were none to be found, I'm gratified that the plant is still alive as fuchsias don't like our summer weather. I've bookmarked "Lost and Found" as that one sounds right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors and contrast from the Goldenrod and variegated foliage.The last book you mention sounds intriguing, will see if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete