Friday 31 July 2020

First cucumber for 1st of August?

Should I celebrate the First August by picking my first cucumber?




In the early weeks of the lock down, during our weekly chats, I was very much impressed by the cucumber plants my grand-daughter was growing.  It may have been when she showed me her first cucumber that I remembered I had an old unopened packet of cucumber seeds in my seed box.  They were well past their best before date, but the seeds were still viable.  I gave a couple of plants to a neighbour, so I wonder how they are doing.

The next question was how to grow them, and what in.  Empty deep rose pots from when I had bought my David Austin roses, were filled with potting compost.  With such little soil, I have had to keep my eye on the watering, and also feed regularly with liquid seaweed feed.  These ones need to be pollinated, so you have to leave the male flowers on.  From inside the conservatory I can keep an eye on them, and since the bumblebees have been doing their job, my little sable pollinating brush isn't needed.  The Bamboo canes came from Pippa's clump of bamboo that she got rid of last year!



Looking forward to the first bite.....

5 comments:

  1. Wow! congratulations! I have never grown cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grow my cucumbers like you vertically, but on the other hand I help them climb on a rope hanging from the ceiling of the greenhouse. It climbs naturally up to 2.50 m which allows me to have a lot of fruit. Congratulations on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well did you celebrate Noelle and if so how did it taste? It certainly looks big enough to eat. We are almost ready for the ceremony of sharing the first tomato of the year 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course, it was perfect. Picked the second one just a few minutes ago. Are you going to nibble it from each side at the same time, till you meet in the middle with a kiss? Go on, nobody will be watching!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. I realised it has just taken four days for the little one on the rightmost plant to swell to eating size. Nice cucumber, yogurt, mint, spring onion salad tonight to go with our chilli and rice, is now on the menu.

      Delete