Saturday 25 July 2020

Six on Saturday - 25 July 2020


(1) Crepis incana is looking good.  This Greek perennial plant has pink flowers borne on branched stems which rise up from soft grey green lobed leaves.  




Crepis are Hawksbeards.  This plant is often described as being a pink dandelion, but Dandelions belong to the genus Taraxam.  I  moved it last year, and it has grown well, though it is now becoming overshadowed by adjacent perennials.  Being a real treasure, and hard to get, it is worth taking care of it.  The root cuttings taken last year were unsuccessful.  This plant must count of one of my top summer flowering plants in the garden. 




With flowers held at around 20cm high, it is a small plant. The flowers are superb in a clear pink around 3cm across. The seeds produced in the UK are not fertile, I have tried and they failed.  I would like to understand why this is so.  Maybe they are not self fertile. As last year, I shall be sure to dead head, and allow plenty of time for the plant to build up before the Autumn.  I think it does need its own clear space, and I am planning to move it to the gravel garden.

(2) In the gravel offering up a dramatic evening performance and maybe secretly humming "By the Light of the Silvery Moon", I love to go and see how Eryngium Giganteum Silver Ghost, is developing. Fresh seed given to me by John Massey was sown in situ  February last year.


 



(3) Again in the gravel area Origanum 'Emma Stanley' is making a colourful statement.  The bracts continue to grow longer.  I was introduced to this plant early this year during a lecture given to our gardening club by Paul Cumbleton, on crevice gardening.  It was ordered and planted within a couple of weeks! It has about four stems such as this one, and a good number of young shoots coming up from the centre. This is a decorative origanum.


(4)   Origanum vulgare compactum: In the gravel garden, where there is no danger of soil splashes, this compact origanum, is in danger of being snipped back too many times.  It is in a  hidden position, as seen from the house.  




It forms a lovely dark green dome, and is just coming into flower.  



At the rate I am using it, I had better set about dividing this one.  The flavour is complex and added to sauces or scattered on top of dishes, a few minutes before finishing the dish, help to keep the fresh flavour to the fore. It works equally well uncooked as an extra note of interest in salads.

My parsley has become submerged by ant hills which is making me very fustrated.  The garden is overrun with colonies.  



(5)  Over on the other side of the garden there is a little shade.  Here Astilbe glaberrima var. saxatilis is having its moment.  It looks quite lovely in a delicate and small way in the low morning light. I think it is worth growing for its foliage alone.  It comes from the sub-tropical island of Yakushima to the south of Japan.


(6) They say good plants can be grown from fresh seed.  Persicaria runcinata 'Needhams Form' is another small alpine plant, that is growing just along this Astilbe.  Jim first posted about this plant last year. This was seed collected in his garden, sown as soon as it arrived, and germinated nicely early in the new year.  I'm hoping it will flower this year.  In the meantime, I just love the small leaf shapes, and the red stems.  I'm happy to note that it is not on the slugs' and snails' menu so far.


Hope you find time to spend in your garden this coming week, whether it is working, or lazing by day or maybe enjoying some cool air under a silvery moon!



15 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried drying and dehydrating oregano? I have tried but it doesn't give good results and I can't find the taste of fresh oregano. Apart from adding it fresh in the dishes, do you have other solutions? Very nice silvery eryngium though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You pose a good question there Fred. I'll try preserving some in olive oil, or butter in cubes in the freezer, though at the moment I would only have sufficient of the Golden Marjoram. This one in my mind is even better, maybe we should just celebrate it in its season for now.

      Delete
    2. Olive oil : good idea !!

      Delete
    3. I pick fresh oregano as needed, and "dehydrate" it in the microwave. I know the microwave makers say not to, but... I only do a few seconds at a time, and it only takes a few, because the oils in it, and some other herbs, tend to ignite! No more placing on a paper towel first!

      Delete
    4. That last comment was to Fred, but I think I posted it in the general line of comments.

      I used to have an ornamental oregano with bracts, Dittany of Crete. So beautiful and unique. It lasted a few years, then this past spring didn't come back. I don't have the compact one, which is something I now need to rectify! And thinking of oregano reminds me of my mess of it that needs cutting back now that the flowers are through. I leave them for the bees.

      Delete
    5. I have a small one growing slowly, I fell in love with its soft grey leaves when I saw it growing wild in Crete. I just hope it comes through the coming winter.

      Delete
  2. Oh that is a most interesting selection Noelle. The crepis looks delightful - I can see the dandelion similarity as far as the flower goes but the leaves look different as far as I can see in your photo. Your ghostly apparition is fabulous. Is it planted in gravel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the eryngium was sown by just scattering the seed on the gravel, and it worked its own way down, germinated, and this year flowered for the first time. Dandelions only have one flower at the end of each stem, this one is has branching stems with several flowers.

      Delete
  3. I thought I'd lost the original of the Persicaria but it came back up eventually. I'd already sown seeds so had 10 seedlings which I put in a couple of biggish pots where they're going mad. I think I admired the Crepis last year, can you seed of it anywhere do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Crepis doesn't set viable seed in the UK. I have been trying to find out why? I tried sowing my own seed, and I won't give up. Apparently root cuttings work. I am plucking up courage to contact Craighall Nursery and ask them how they propagate, and all the tips.

      Delete
  4. nice, a new compost bin is a cause for celebration. i am not beneath raiding my neighbour's green bin for suitable heap material!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love going round cutting back, dead heading etc, knowing that everything will be returned in time to the garden. Only nasties and very hard bits of wood won't go in there. I have a little space for hard wood, and place those on the surface...in three years, they are submerged and start to rot.

      Delete
  5. The crepis is lovely. I had heard it described as a pink dandelion as well, which put me off as I worried they might be a self seeding nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the person who first described it as 'dandelion', and all those who have followed have done the plant a disservice. If you could get it to seed, and the seed to be viable, you will have the whole world begging for some! Time it was changed I think! I would love to find a botanist to explain what is needed to produce viable seed on this one.

      Delete