Monday 27 July 2020

In a Vase - Thrown together



The flowers were cut yesterday, and stood overnight in a bucket ready to be arranged this morning.  There was I, about 6:45 am quietly trying to put this together, when several almighty bolts of lighting and claps of thunder resounded overhead.  A sure sign Mr S would not sleep through till the alarm.

I quickly threw these together, took pictures, and got ready for breakfast.  The light was dismal so had to use artificial lighting.  I tried the flash on my little camera, but it just bleached everything.  


Fuchsia Hawkshead with its graceful white blooms, decorative marjoram a pass along from Alison, and white  Centaurea Montana Alba, alone would have been sufficient.  



 is the only astrantia which I seem to be having any success with this year, and Verbena rigida, with heads of tiny purple flowers is continuing to flower nicely, therefore they are making a little appearance.   The White Verbascum is into its second flowering, and I only spied this when I went to cut some Salvia Amistad which is now galloping away in the border.  There are a couple of the seed spikes of Salvia nemorosa Caradonna.  


Just above and filling the room with a deep rich scent is Origanum laevigatum Herrenhausen.  It has good strong woody upright stems with a deep colour which contrast well with lovely green frothy Alchemilla mollis is perfect for filling out a summer arrangement.    I bought the pale monardo  from the Herb Lady at Wells Market, last year.  I thought it was going to be red, but it is a pale lilac.  Some stems from Thalictrum delavayi which were a lovely dark purple are in there just because they are purple! 

I had been toying on making an altogether different type of arrangement, but felt quite discombobulated following the lightning strikes, and all morning poor dismal light and rain. I want sunshine and no winds, it is supposed to be summer now. 

10 comments:

  1. Good throwing! Delightful material in your vase, open, delicate and so pretty! I love it! Looking out of our windows now I can see no sign of summer at all. Grey, wet, cool air. July has been so disappointing. I think our summer in Scotland came and went in May when it was glorious! A gift during lockdown! Have a good week. Amanda https://therunningwave.blogspot.com/2020/07/an-orange-vase-on-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. Its been a strange year on various counts. You too seem to be getting too much rain for Summer.

      Delete
  2. Hope the storm passes quickly. The flowers are delightful--so many interesting ones to discover. I hope to try growing some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most artful display, even if you pretend to have "just thrown them together". The fuchsia adds an elegant, airy note and alchemilla makes it look fresh. Just love it! Have a great week, Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annette, no pretence at all. More time was searching for the spelling of the plant names! May your week too be a pleasant one Annette.

      Delete
  4. No lightning with our thunder this time, unlike a few weeks ago when we had the most glorious electric storm I have ever seen! I really like your vase and its interesting contents, Noelle, and it's a shame the lighting was not good enough to do it justice - I too would have struggled if I had had to do my vase today. I was intrigued to see the origanum as that is someting I have added here in recent years but it is still small and straggly. Good to know how fragrant it has proved to be too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither of the origanums are culinary. They need plenty of sun and as well drained soil as can be mustered. Hope yours will start to perform soon.

      Delete
  5. I love this airy arrangement, Noelle, and think you did a great job photographing it despite the low light conditions. I was immediately struck by the dainty 'Hawkshead' Fuchsia blooms, partly because my plant is struggling simply to survive our long dry period. Although I'd be happy to get some rain here, I wish you warmer and sunnier weather as the week progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris. The Hawkshead blooms are lovely, but the plant is growing far too well in its position. It will just have to be moved. In a small garden it is a constant juggle. We have drier and warmer days ahead of us now.

      Delete
  6. Oh well done Noelle on braving the inclement elements to put your vase together. I did not venture out much in yesterday's torrential rain and wind. By early evening though we had clear blue skies and sunshine! I hope that you get some soon. I see we have a brief interlude of very warm weather predicted for later this week. A most pretty vase full of frothy and delicate looking summer lovelies.

    ReplyDelete