Saturday 4 July 2020

Six on Saturday - 4 July 2020


After writing up my post, I go and read the Props anchor article, then link it to mine. At least three of the items will inspire me during the coming week to revisit, not least is his eryngium and associated post on propagation by root cuttings.  I too love propagation as can be testified further down when I attempt to rejuvenate a tired clump of Iris. 

It is impossible for the whole, or even a sizeable chuck of my garden to look good at the same time.  It is small, too small for 'rooms', and therefore if I don't focus on a good area, then I would see the whole, and would be less than content.  

(1) Having or finding little areas, where 'collections' of plants create a pleasing tableau  helps bring calm and  contentment. I often seek such an area these days: The garden is my solace. Sometimes the effect lasts from as long as a few days, to a few weeks.

A little area particularly pleasing to me this week backs the 'gravel garden'.  There I go: I have already mentioned what I deem to be two  areas with 'collections'.


Rabbit reclining along the chamomile

The anchor point in this week's favourite area for contemplation is the (2) Rosemary bush, with the golden marjoram and chamomile forming a white and green lacy collar in the foreground.  The Rosemary had grown tall and woody and had flowered for nearly a whole year, continuing over the winter right through tillspring, offering up its pretty blue flowers to any insect needing some sustenance.  It deserves a prize, but it was also starting to take up far too much room.  It needed rejuvenating, and late April it had a reshape with around half the branches quite severely reduced, a feed and a mulch, and encouragement to do its best.  To my relief it is responding nicely. (3) Soon the golden marjoram will be covered with flowers: Origanum vulgare 'Aureum, with its chartreuse green leaves makes a lovely highlight under the dark Rosemary bush.   

Usually the close cropped chamomile makes a little green path against which Mr S's hare reclines gazing at the sky.  I would not admit to him that Hare acts as a stepping stone when I want to lean over and trim some rosemary or majoram for cooking.

For now the chamomile is having its 'in floral' moment. This one is (4) Chamaemelum nobile 'Flore Pleno'. This came from my friend Alison's garden as a little clump dug from the side of her plant, from which I teased out separate shoots, and gradually have extended 'the chamomile lawn'.  

The front and side garden are still a work in progress, and I am continuing to add plants that like dry and sunny conditions.  My friend and neighbour, and keen gardener Val comes out from time to time for a catch up. We keep our distance of course.  

(5) This week Val offered up a lovely plant which she said had outgrown its spot, but knowing her, she probably felt like a change and had another choice plant to position in her garden. Of course it may just be her way of kindly offering a lovely plant.  This week a  Euphorbia probably Euphorbia cyparissias subs wulfennii came over to its new home in the sunny and stony dry border.  Val will still be able to enjoy it as the border is along the side of our house, onto which she looks out on.


Euphorbia cyparissias subs wulfennii


(6) Iris Jane Phillips has been neglected, 'sitting and sulking' in the ground. The whole tubful that I had been given, was planted as one in the ground last summer. It had been sending out the message that I was a neglectful gardener.  She didn't even flower.  This week I did the right thing by her.   The rhizomes are above ground, which don't show up here, as they are positioned on a slope.  They will certainly get a good baking here.  Already after two days the central leaves are growing.  No watering necessary as it has been cool and showery. Will she flower next year? I hope so!


Quote of the Week
"A garden is like an autograph book: it is full of connections and experience, it has meaning and inspiration, it is real." Elizabeth Stragman" .  I came across this when I was looking for the origins of Origanum Kent Beauty, which was a chance seedling in Elizabeth's garden.

11 comments:

  1. This rabbit seems to like the smell of chamomile.Not me .... by cons these flowers are very pretty !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't interesting how different smells please some people but not others. I smell oranges and fresh tea with chamomile. In contrast I find several Salvias pungent.

      Delete
  2. The Rosemary, chamomile etc., look really good together. All that fragrant foliage to enjoy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the garden has many layers of enjoyment, smell being one precious one.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing iris pruned the traditional, "right," way! That's how I do mine, a big job, in August. I have golden oregano near purple too, a lavender. Right now it's so bright yellow it's hard to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some clever juxtapositions going on in your garden Lisa. Might try that one, as I have quite a few purple leaved plants. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  4. I like your herbs (very much the same as mine though I lost my chamomile over the winter) and my rosemary mysteriously died too! Luckily I had another one taken as a cutting a couple of years back and I have now taken four new cuttings - just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I like that you have 'insured' against it happening again. I was quite worried that my pruning would upset my rosemary adversely, so relieved it is happy. A cutting from it taken a couple of years ago is elsewhere in the garden was ear marked as a replacement.

      Delete
  5. That rabbit looks most happy and content surrounded by a sea of chamomile Noelle. Fingers crossed for your iris. She has had a good start with all the rain. I love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna. Hope you are enjoying your webinars at Dixter. Off to read your posts now. Have a good week.

      Delete
  6. passing on plants (and receiving them!) is one of the many joys of gardening. i'm hoping/expecting to offload several to grannysgarden when they visit next week.

    ReplyDelete