Monday 30 October 2023

In a Vase on Monday - A little late season Purple

 The clocks have just changed and the quality of light has become more winter like.  However without frosts the garden is still yielding a few flowers. Just after breakfast I popped into the garden, still in my exercise clothes, and picked a few blooms for today's In a Vase on Monday.  This weekly IVOM was created by Cathy who posts on 'Rambling in the Garden'.



Fuchsia Upright Delta's Sarah has maintained the purply blue tones and with those tones in mind, I looked around for something to go with it.  Nearby the nasturtiums are in flower but their bright oranges tones would be too clashing however their bluey green leaves were just perfect.  A leaf of Arum Italicum and a few stems of self seeded Purple flowered Verbena bonariensis complete the arrangement.



Yesterday our WI book club attended an event at the Wells Literary Festival to listen to the author Donal Ryan regarding The Queen of Dirt Island. I can't understand or maybe don't get what other readers on 'Good Reads' get.  The author has an accent which I found tricky and spoke far too quickly, I nodded off on occasion! On the plus side at least I lent it to another member to read before the talk, and since the book is in the window at our Waterstone's, when I take it to the Charity Shop later, they ought to be able to sell it on quickly! 

The best part of the talk, was meeting afterwards at The Bishop's  Eye, for cake, herb tea for me and even wine for some!



12 comments:

  1. That Fuchsia and verbena are quite spectacular together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, usually for me it is quite a large arrangement, these fuchsias are quite large compared to some of the ones growing in the garden.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful fuchsia, and the verbena is the perfect compliment. Thanks for warning me off that particular book! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot of swearing!!!! Do read the reviews for yourself, not everyone has similar attitudes to things like no speech marks, but the book really did not resonate for all the group.

      Delete
  3. Fuchsias are such reliable late flowering plants yet they are often overlooked. Yours looks like a charming variety and you have chosen some excellent companions for her. That's a book that I've not heard of Noelle and don't think I will be looking out for it now 😂 My reading group's latest read is 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles' which I must have read about fifty years ago! Our library could only supply us with large print books so it was not only a long read but a weighty read too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too studied Tess of the d'Urbevilles for A-level, Anna, and wonder what I would think of it if I (had to) read it these days - at the time I didn't enjoy it as neither of the main characters resonated with me, both being a little pathetic to my mind...

      Delete
    2. It is hardy and I have to pinch it a lot in the early stages or it may grow taller than me. I quite like Thomas Hardy and had studied Far from the Madding Crowd. Our group tend to buy the books, but I do try to order them from the library where possible. This one being new I had to buy.

      Delete
  4. Having referred to your 'exercise clothes', Noelle, It has made me curious about your exercises - are you willing to divulge? I had to smile at the thought of you nodding off in the book talk, but I am glad the tea and cake made for a pleasant outing! And on to the vase, the verbena and fuchsia are perfect companions and your chosen foliage worked well with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes combinations just offer themselves if I just stand and look around carefully, As for the exercises first thing before Mr S is up I do mat exercises which are a mixture of Canadian Air Force exercises and Pilates, plank etc, but I also have to do a series of exercises to strengthen my core. I have a bad back, neck etc and find sitting difficult. The NHS practice Physiochemist diagnosed hypomobility. I finish with cardio, I start off the day feeling full of energy and quite warm!

      Delete
  5. Your simple, purple, white and green arrangement is the essence of elegance, Noelle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noelle, this has a quiet elegance. The fushia flowers are amazing and I love that you used the nasturtium foliage. Great vase as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pale Fuchsia is very pretty, especially with all your foliage - your Arum proves to be so useful for vases. And your WI sounds like a good group, constantly busy with various outings.

    ReplyDelete