Saturday 7 October 2023

Six on Saturday - 7 October 2023

 The garden is still looking in fine fettle, and even the 'Mediterranean' front garden seems to be enjoying the cooler temperatures.  There is going to be a little upheaval in the coming weeks, after which the garden will settle down hopefully as far as major works for the next few years.  You have it now: I am not buying or planting any new bulbs this autumn!  I am sure this will not be so for Jim who leads this weekly get together or all those that write and join in or visit Jim's Post. 

That is not to mean there won't be loads of spring flowers as I think the garden is now fully planted, except of course there are those unwanted pesky blighters probably nibbling through the bulbs underground.  Let's get back to what is above ground in the garden: Six headings:

1. The Aster acquired just a few weeks ago, a 'souvenir' from a plant stall at Watchet, finally made its way into its first spot in the garden.  For now it looks pretty good with Fuchsia Deltas Sarah close by. I found the label and its name is Aster novi-belgii Blue.

Aster novi-belgii Blue

2. Another Aster has been flowering for a number of weeks, was one which Helen Picton of Old Court Nurseries suggested after her talk at the HPS Somerset early this year.  I had been clearing out my old magazines, but not before I had a final flick, with pages torn out to be later to be filed in an over stuffed folder, when the name against a picture of a fine soft coloured aster seemed familiar.  I went out to the garden and yes indeed there is the original hand written label from the nursery with Aster Pyrenaeus 'Lutetia'.  The bees have certainly enjoyed this one too.

 Aster Pyrenaeus 'Lutetia'

3. The lonicera by the bird bath is getting a little untidy, and may be ready for a clip, the ones in the front garden are just needing a light trim: I may just get on with that job on Sunday.


4. We have been given a date for the work to reset the sitting circle, setting it on a better base and placing sets around the outside to increase the firmer surface to take four chairs round the table comfortably.  This is going to involve a temporary raising and potting or temporarily resighting of plants in the more or less vacant veggie plot.

A post in the fence also needs replacing and in anticipation of this Mr S under my direction and with my help, set to to prune the  bay tree.


Ouch! Time will tell whether total removal is required

The branches that had been growing through the fence had been holding it up, so until the post is replaced, rope has been attached to the tree.  Whether the bay tree survives time will tell, and then further pruning with perhaps a removal of one the stout stems will be required.

5. Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Golden Arrow' has enjoyed the weather or maybe it is just that it is now well established in its second year. The flowers have been a good one to pick for mixed bouquets. Beth Chatto says that it would be best suited to a shady area, but here it is in full sun and doing nicely.


6. Its that time of the year, and last year I left it a little on the late side, but non the less I have chosen the best and plumpest cloves of garlic from those, and have now planted them.  


The weather is being kind and I can foresee much gardening taking place next week.






9 comments:

  1. Your aster is a perfect companion for Fuchsia ‘Delta Sarah’ and the bay is beautiful - it looks as though it's been in your garden for a long time. I hope there will be no damage to it when post is removed. I have some sturdy shrubs holding up part of a fence in a back corner that needs attention or we might come home one day to find the garden full of cows. The Persicaria is looking lovely alongside the surrounding plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine, we are having the concrete footing removed too, and as you have seen how far back the bay was pruned, it will certainly test the resilience of the bag tree.

      Delete
  2. Now that's a serious pruning! I'm sure I read somewhere Bays were pretty tough - although my mini standard is still looking a bit ropey after the cold snaps over the winter. The new Aster looks great with the Fuchsia. I think I'm going to try and follow your lead with bulbs next autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha! Too late for this coming season then, I read between the lines that this year you have a lot waiting to be planted.

      Delete
  3. The mix asters , fuchsias, nasturtium is truly a success. Regarding the garlic cloves, is it pink garlic or purple one? It's true that planting garlic at this time of year gives good results. I made it 2 years ago, it has a stronger taste and is more resistant to conservation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is more or less the same garlic that I have been carrying on from one year to another. They are all soft neck garlic, some purple some white. They last a full year, till the next harvest is ready, so I have not needed to buy any for a long time now. A lot of garlic is grown locally and available at this time of the year.

      Delete
  4. Well done on resisting any bulb planting Noelle. I have a box of them staring at me whenever I go into the shed ๐Ÿ˜‚ 'Lutetia' looks like a most beautiful aster indeed! I have got one of those overstuffed folders too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really hard Anna, gardeners are really being pushed to do impulse buying, and I am trying to be a little more guarded! I enjoy filing and keep some sort of order, with all my cuttings, and when I do this it gives me the opportunity to look back at what I had previously kept and often get inspired.

      Delete
  5. Sarah Rajkotwala9 October 2023 at 19:03

    My goodness what a delicious combination with that Aster and Fuchsia Deltas Sarah, a match made in heaven! ๐Ÿ’œ

    ReplyDelete