Monday 9 October 2023

In a Vase on Monday - 9 October 2023

It is In a Vase on Monday time, and this week the flowers have just been cut and there is still dew on them as I arrange them. Chrysanthemum Nicole would have looked the part in Cathy's All White on the Night arrangement!

Chrysanthemum Nicole close up

There is a gentle scent from Chrysanthemum Nicole, and I try three different vases before I settle on a Noritake Vase which my father brought back from Japan for her.


It wasn't easy to get a good photography as there was too much contrast between the crimson to dark red flowers of Chrysanthemum Bravo and the the white Chrysanthemum Nicole. 

Chrysanthemum Bravo

A leaf from Persicaria 'Red Dragon' sets off the colour well, and close up the flowers are rich.  However with the branching of the short stems I would not describe them as a particularly good cutting Chrysanthemum.  The blooms and buds are however appealing.

In addition I have used stems from my two Pittosporum: P 'Tom Thumb' and P Garnettii.

Tomorrow on October 10 I am going to start a new meme called 'Tree Appreciation Tuesday'. This will be a simple one tree a week post where I write about the tree and post a picture.  You are very welcome to meet me there, comment and link your own post and picture.  The tree could be one in your garden, your local park, or one you have seen on your walks or travels.

18 comments:

  1. I like the color combination. I think reds are difficult to photograph for some reason. Tom Thumb foliage is a favorite of mine in your vases. I have never seen any here. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pittosporums are really suited to our climate and there are a large range of these shrubs and trees now available in the UK. As they are evergreen they are attractive in gardens all the year around.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty, Noelle. Your namesake chrysanthemum is similar to an unnamed one I've grown for many years but without the crisp form that yours displays. Photographing flowers sometimes takes me longer than making the vase.
    Have a great garden week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, you got me looking at the Nicole/Noelle theme, and hadn't realised there was a film called 'Noelle'! You are right about the photographing part, it takes longer than the gardening even, but what a great way to capture flowers for a long time. I shall show the whole plant this coming Saturday on Six on Saturday, so will be able to compare the whole plant to yours then.

      Delete
  3. Nicole really is a striking chrysanthemum - although I thought it was a dahlia at first! I will be interested to see the plant as a whole in your Saturday post. Your vase, props and other material all work beautifully together, and you have clearly thought about the colours - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, as many Chinese props including the vase to go with the Chrysanthemums this week .

      Delete
  4. That white Chrysanthemum always fools me into thinking it's a dahlia at first glance but then I guess I have dahlias on the brain. The combination you put together is striking, Noelle. Persicaria 'Red Dragon' was an inspired touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dahlias are fabulous and I can see the similarity in the form of the petals. Earlier in the summer when I showed a golden coloured Chrysanthemum Brian Skeys though I was showing Dahlia David Howard!

      Delete
  5. I love the striking contrast in the 2 mums. Really very elegant especially in that beautiful vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, and the mums last such a long time, my last vase was good for two weeks.

      Delete
  6. Chrysanthemum 'Nicole' would have indeed been at home in Cathy's vase today Noelle but looks oh most attractive in yours with the contrasting deep red of chrysanthemum 'Bravo'. The vase is a perfect choice for displaying them. I'm still waiting for my chrysanthemum buds to show colour 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and I am looking forward to seeing your Chrysanthemums, isn't it good to have blooms to look forward to late in the year compared to many herbaceous plants.

      Delete
  7. Both are beauties, but I am esp. drawn to the rich burgundy, a favourite colour. The Persicaria picks it up perfectly! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza, colour is so subjective and I wonder whether different people perceive it differently. I find dark colours difficult as I cannot get the detail, and I the same with dark coloured clothes, cannot wear black, and on the whole go for brighter colours.

      Delete
  8. Your white Chrysanthemum is simply beautiful Noelle, and I do like your very elegant arrangement. The props go so well with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, this year the Chrysanthemums have done nicely, and both of these are new having come in a small rooted cuttings earlier in the year.

      Delete
  9. I love the contrast between the two chrysanthemums! They are both have beautiful and different shapes. And the vase is gorgeous, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, that vase with its classical shape is really a great way of arranging this rather 'classic' combination.

      Delete