Monday 8 July 2024

During Tennis Week: In a Vase on Monday

 Just how the subconscious works is a mystery to me.  On 'Doctor's orders' to save my voice, what very little whispery words remain, I have been relaxing and watching Wimbledon this past week.  For me to just relax is a tall order.  I promise I have watched a few matches, have spoken very little, but have also been reading...and baking...and gardening.  All those are relaxing activities for me.

Was it some deep seated subconscious thought that made me choose the green, purple and white colours of Wimbledon?  All I can say that it may just be coincidence that two plants growing near to each other shouted out to be included.


The self seeded Verbena bonariensis is growing  as  high as I would be able to reach with my racket, and I didn't have to run far to reach the drops of  Fuchsia Upright Delta's Sarah. Isn't this a successful mixed double team?

Another big coincidence is that I am reading Andre Agassi's Autobiography 'Open'.  


It was chosen several months earlier, and bought along with the three other titles.  I really thought what a strange choice at the time, as we have only read novels and had yet to branch to biographies. However we have two very keen tennis players amongst our midst, and choosing the autobiography of a tennis player was no surprise.  I was captured from the very start, and it has given me an insight into the regimes that professional tennis players go through, and it has certainly increased my enjoyment of Wimbledon this year. 

Wimbledon may be on for two weeks only, but IAVOM is a weekly affair, and Referee Cathy tosses the coin and starts us off.  However there is nothing adversarial, there are no winners, comments are generous and kind and there is no trophy.  The training starts early with gardens tendered, watered and cultivated to yield the blooms and foliage, and vases sought high and low, or just from the back of cupboard    




 

13 comments:

  1. Love your color choices. Especially that white and purple Fuchsia. An interesting coincidence with the tournament and autobiography...I think not. All meant to be along with your beautiful vase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to smile at your tennis analogies, Noelle - but tell me, why are Wimbledon colours green, white and purple? Your mixed doubles vase works brilliantly - the airy verbena links perfctly with the drops of the fuschsia, such great choices 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Wimbledon Tennis Club: 'Colours. The present colours — dark green and purple — were introduced in 1909 following the discovery that the previous Club colours of blue, yellow, red and green were almost identical to those of the Royal Marines. The decision as to why dark green and purple were chosen is not stated in the Club's records.'

      Delete
  3. I loved the way you threaded comparisons of Wimbledon and tennis training with gardening throughout your post, Noelle. Your arrangement is simple but effective. I planted a similar Fuchsia in a pot this year but, so far, it's produced not even a single bud :( I hope continued rest heals your voice soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my plant was younger, and I have had this growing straight in the soil for several years, it did not flower till at least August, this year it was early June. The flowers are so lovely it is worth being patient, you will see.

      Delete
  4. I like the match! Fuchsia and VB, who knew they would work so well together. Hope you get your voice back soon, Amelia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the game is not over, we play it each week, and I love checking out on everyone's form!

      Delete
  5. Great tie-in with Whimbleton, Noelle, I enjoyed your commentary, and your floral choices are perfect! Hope your voice recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I forget that I must sign my name! Eliza

      Delete
    2. Thanks Eliza, no progress yet on the voice, but I live in hope.

      Delete
  6. Your post is a delight to read today Noelle, and the vase was just an added bonus! The Fuchsia and Verbena do indeed make an excellent team and would definitely make it to the finals if I were the judge! Funnily enough, my Mum has also reported extremely tall Verbena bonariensis this year, well over 2 metres. I do hope your voice returns soon - all the best for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather enjoyed writing it, totally without any forethought or preparation. I have noticed quite a lot of etiolation on garden plants this year, maybe the low light levels for several months has been the cause.

      Delete
  7. I hope your voice returns soon. I'm not very talkative, but I can't imagine being quiet either. I have Verbena bonariensis in my garden also, but not as tall as yours. Take care...

    ReplyDelete