Monday 22 July 2024

In a Vase on Monday - July's garden blooms

 In a Vase on Monday comes round so quickly, but it does make me realise that the garden is ever changing, and this is the opportunity to go out and gather plants from the garden for a virtual get together with 'flower friends' hosted perfectly by Cathy, and as with such gatherings there is always some pleasant chatter.

A snip here and a snip there of some of the plants in flower in the garden are here gathered to form a July bouquet.  The Vase I chose is a heavy bottomed rectangular affair, and as I rarely buy brand new vases I certainly remembered being very surprised to see it for sale at a country type fair in Cirencester where some polo matches were also taking place.  

Sweet pea Mrs Bernard Jones was the starting point and a few other July flowering plants caught my eye and  seemed perfect for the effect I was after. The tall purple decorative oregano and some stems from an unnamed heuchera to give some added height as well as a see through  effect, some hydrangea to give weight and  some 'in bud' Autumn Joy sedum just because it is the right sort of green.  Finally as I was walking back to arrange them I almost stepped on the Chamaemelum nobile ‘Flore Pleno’.  I love its scent and its pretty double white flowers gives a little contrast to otherwise pink tone.



A little while ago Anna asked about the Purple Rose in the Home Florist Timeless Collection.  I don't know whether it is because I moved it during the winter, but somehow it does not flower quite at the same time as the other three cream and pinks in this collection.  The blooms of Home Florist Timeless Purple are really large with many petals and scent the room.  I do like the good strong stems which hold the heavy blooms very nicely.








11 comments:

  1. And I am overdue arranging the next virtual Zoom gathering, Noelle, as we had one at the end of July last year...perhaps it's not too late to do the same again. I love your pink confection today - such pretty shades. Is this your go-to sweet pea? Your new vase looks intersting, although I was hoping for a close-up to get a better look! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the one and only sweet pea, and growing them for the first time well again in nearly twenty years! My friend Mandy sent me a packet of seeds with her Christmas card, It has such long stems and up to four flowers on each, so well worth while growing, these are from a March sowing,

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I love pink and that Hydrangea is perfect!
    https://zonethreegardenlife.blog/2024/07/22/in-a-vase-july-22/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, The Hydrangea was grown from a small cutting a few years back, even not knowing what it would look like, begged from a gardener at Wells Bishop's Palace who was pruning some shrubs.

      Delete
  3. That purple rose is really unusual and I love that color. The pink vase is perfection with all the different flowers bringing their touch of pink to the combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, pinks seem to be the prominent colour in the garden this year.

      Delete
  4. Oh, that first arrangement is one of the most beautiful I've seen today--the combination of elements, and the vase, itself. And your purple Roses--wow! Happy vase day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Beth to single this one out this week, but there are some lovely summer arrangements this week all round.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that rose is so stunning! Such a gorgeous deep burgundy colour. And your first vase is also very lovely Noelle. All those delicate pinks together are so calming, and the plants you have used are all things I love. The vase itself was a great find too. I must now scroll up again and take it all in - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That rose is magnificent! I love the softer pink arrangement too. I just returned from a garden tour in the Pacific Northwest and saw many sweet peas in full bloom there as well - I wish my own lasted into the summer months but they're strictly spring blooms here. No IAVOM contribution from me this week but I hope to be back on schedule next week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those purple roses are stunning. I don't think I've ever seen a rose more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete