Monday 8 July 2024

The most Open Crumb of Sourdoughs

 From Bread Every Day and  having refreshed my rye sourdough starter the night before, I followed the timings given in the recipe and starting at 3:30 p.m., pulled two fabulous loaves out of the oven at around 9:00 am the following day.  There is an online tutorial by Jack, and if you search he has the recipe on line but this one is for one loaf only.


Usually I amend recipes to fit the size of bannetons I have and since I only had one oval banneton of the right size, I was totally amazed that when I walked into my local independent hardware stone, there was the twin of mine at a very reasonable price...and no I did not get the small hand sprayer for the water, so must go back for that soon. 

This is the first time I have made a totally no knead sourdough, as I usually do a ten minute knead as well as the stretches following the hours of rest.

These are the loaves as they came out of the fridge on day 2, ready for baking.  After about 10 hours uncovered in the fridge they had developed a good outer skin, and were easy to turn out and score.

                                    

These days I drape some muslin across the banneton rather than risk them sticking and with a new one this is even more likely.  I quickly found a spare piece of muslin from my cheesemaking kit, the whiter one. I do reuse baking parchment several times as it is not recyclable. 

Sourdough turned out and ready to be slashed

There was plenty of oven lift, 

and what is called a good ear on both the loaves.


Here with the open crumb one can see the effect of a no knead bread with large holes evenly dispersed.  The whole wheat rye gives a light brown colour and a great taste. On the whole I prefer the type of dough which has smaller holes and will incorporate a few minutes proper kneading when I next try this same recipe.  


I do enjoy trying different techniques and also improvising.  Although I already have a large round Welsh Baking stone or griddle which I can put in the oven for pizza or a large round sourdough, I don't really want to buy another one or two oblong baking stones.  Instead I put in two of my very heavy and strong Silverwood baking sheets, the first of which I acquired over twenty years ago.  I add these to the shelves when I am preheating the oven.  Turn the dough onto a piece of parchment, slip it onto another upturned but cold tray, then slide the loaves and baking parchment onto the preheated trays.  It does the job for me and I don't need a peel as the cold tray acts as one.  

When I looked at the picture with the muslins, I had a slight niggle or rather an embarrassment that they were rather untidy with frayed edges on both the new and the old one which had been washed a number of times.  I remembered my friend Kay who patiently over several years brought out some needle skills in me, and using Youtube found a good one demonstrating how to sew a rolled edge. Resting up, I found the repetitive action and concentration needed rather therapeutic.  I found that I wanted to make the muslins as square as possible and found drawing through one of the threads left me with good cutting guide line.  Here are the cloths now newly washed but unironed.  

Rolled edged banneton cloth linings.


 

4 comments:

  1. I have been baking from Everyday Bread here! No Knead Rustic Loaf, not sourdough. Your bread looks divine! Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, are you in the Homebaker's club? There Jack shows apple , pecan and cinnamon buns which are divine. Remind me of your blog details, and do you post your bakes there? What have been your recent bakes from Jack's Book?

      Delete
  2. Noelle, you have my mouth watering and the rest of me deeply admiring your patience and skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, I just love developing my skills and then applying them. Since we have to eat, and there is no waste, I find channelling them there is a very relaxing way of living.

      Delete