Monday 26 August 2024

In a Vase on Monday Bank Holiday

 The late August garden is having a bit of a wobble.  With a small back garden the difficulty if juggling the balance of plants so that it looks interesting and healthy throughout the year, shows up deficiencies about now.  

Here two shrubs come to the fore for In a Vase on Monday.  The vase is the perfect small heavy bottomed Caithness swirl vase.



This Fuchsia in the garden is low growing and with it white bordered leaves with a blush of pink work beautifully to form an understory in the border. Fuchsia 'Tom West', still  in tight bud will gradually open over the next few days   As for the deep red many petalled and scented rose, these are the last of a flush of Munstead Wood.  Having looked up this rose I accidently learnt that Munstead Wood was bought by the National Trust last year.  

I am joining Cathy and friends and linking my post over at 'Rambling in the Garden'.

What a bonus for me for having made an effort to make and post this vase, not only am I able to join friends again after a few weeks, but I have come up for an idea of a holiday. It is not yet open but I shall follow the progress and hope the National Trust will respect the importance of this site. I can feel a garden themed holiday in the air for next year with RHS Wisley which is not far away.

10 comments:

  1. Hope you are both OK Noelle, as it has been a little while since I heard anything of you. I love the Munstead Wood rose and it is one of my favourites - mine seems to be having only a short second flush too. The fuschia is a pretty addition to the rose blooms. I too was glad that Munstead Wood has been bought by the NT, and I am sure they will respect its heritage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much improved, I got to the bottom of what was the main cause, and having made some changes, am getting there. I've decided that the roses are hungry plants and need care throughout the growing season. We shall see.

      Delete
  2. I would love to see Munstead Wood and the roses. The fuchsia is fantastic, I am amazed at the varieties I see in the UK blogs. Beautiful. There is always a sort of lull in my garden at summer's end. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope that you get to see Munstead Wood some day Amelia. I think we all need to appreciate what our particularly climates can cope with, and simply enjoy through IAVOM what other people post.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love this vase with roses and Fuchsia....really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna the dark petals remind me of a dark velvet.

      Delete
  4. The rose and fuchsia blooms make a splendid combination, Noelle. I wish I had better luck with both species. I was dismayed to return from a relatively short trip to find that Fuchsia 'Voodoo', which I thought was indestructible and was on a drip system, upped and died on me. I have only a single fuchsia that's hung on over one year here, which is a very poor record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many other beautiful plants that you grow Kris, maybe treat them as annuals if they are easy enough to get hold of where you are.

      Delete
  5. You have arranged these beautifully Noelle. Both the rose and the Fuchsia are attractive flowers, but the Fuchsia has the added bonus of those lovely leaves as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, even in the garden before the flowers come out, the foliage is a great addition, which reminds me to take a few cuttings to place elsewhere in the garden.

      Delete